Join our zoo community

Ragunan Zoo Advice Please - Worth a Visit?

Discussion in 'Indonesia' started by GregOz, 14 Apr 2012.

1. GregOz

GregOz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hi

I am heading to Singapore for workand will have a few days spare. I have enough time to see the zoos and bird park in Singapore but have one more day free and wondered is the flight over to Jakarta for the day to see Ragunan worth it.

I have a fondness for primates so that is swaying me but don't want to waste the money if im not likely to see much or anything rare.

thanks

Greg

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I would say yes. Ragunan is a very large zoo and I wandered round for ages getting lost and in the end not even seeing everything there. I was there on a Sunday and there were what seemed like hundreds of thousands of visitors. There aren't particularly many rarely-seen species apart for in the aviaries (e.g. maleo, Javan hawk-eagle, New Guinea harpy eagle), but the Schmutzer Primate Centre inside the zoo (a separate facility with separate entry fee) is fantastic. It really is extraordinary seeing the extreme difference in husbandry between the primates in the zoo and the primates in the centre.

I'm not sure I would take a special flight from Singapore to Jakarta for the day just to visit the zoo, but it is definitely a zoo worth visiting.

3. GregOz

Thanks Chlidonias - I might see if I have spare time and how cheaply I can get a flight. List of langurs and macaques looks pretty good.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

an alternative, if you haven't already been there, is a flight across to Kota Kinabalu and going to Lok Kawi. It costs very little to fly Singapore to Sabah, and they have Bornean elephants, proboscis monkeys, western tarsier, Bornean slow loris, etc (the Sumatran rhino is now gone however).

(Also the visa is free, unlike for Indonesia)

Or, second suggestion, Bangkok for the Dusit Zoo.

5. GregOz

Well thanks for the suggestions. As it turned out time got away and the expense was too high to get out of Singapore but did get to the zoo, bird park, night zoo, aquarium, butteryfly park and turtle museum so i can't complain.

Greg