Join our zoo community

Africa Alive! Africa Alive

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Kifaru Bwana, 13 Aug 2007.

1. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

does anyone know what kind of future projects that Africa alive will be doing this year. a keeper told me a in 2012 leopards are on the wish list.

2. Alfieb

Alfieb New Member

I think they are working on a bridge out over the lake this year! Haven't heard about leopards.

3. banham.tiger

in a leaflet that i picked up at Tesco it confirms that african hunting dogs are due to arrive in the summer. i went to the zoo yesterday and it is true! there is construction for them next to the fossas .

4. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Painted Dogs arrival is announced: They have come from West Mids

Africa Alive! is delighted to announce the arrival of three very rare Cape hunting dogs also known as painted or African wild dogs. ‘Golf’, ‘Skittle’ and ‘Half Scoop’’ recently arrived from West Midland Safari Park in Worcestershire, as part of the European breeding programme for this rare African canid and are the first of their kind to ever be kept here at the park

5. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is it confirmed that the hunting dogs have gone into the striped hyena enclosure(as suggested on another thread)?
    If so and that means the hyena are gone completely, it is a shame that the UK has lost its only pair of these! Hunting Dogs are relatively common in the UK.

6. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

According to a comment made on the park's Facebook page, the two striped hyenas were incompatible and moved off-show so they can be split up and sent to form new pairs elsewhere.

7. pipaluk

Thanks for the confirmation- even if it was bad news!

8. Nisha

9. banham.tiger

I have just come back from a nice day out at Africa alive!
    :)
    It was my first visit in five years and nothing seems to of changed. the highlights for me where the lions and the plains of Africa.

i was keen to see the new hunting dogs and was lucky when they came right up to the glass .

Jill the chimp is still there and on her own i was talking to a keeper who mentioned that she would not likely except a new mate and she was happy on her own. but she will be the last chimp that lives in the collection.

i was a bit annoyed when some children where playing on the drums next to the lions and the lions seemed pretty stressed and i believe one of the males was charging up at the fence which i did not like to see.

its got to be a must see collection and in my opinion i would rate better than its sister zoo banham zoo. but you have to be prepared for a lot of antelope.

10. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

You make that sound a problem! :rolleyes:

11. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

I for one am a fan of Antelope! ;)

12. ro6ca66

ro6ca66 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

That really made me smile! :D "Strap yourself in, lads - there's gonna be a lot of antelope!!"

I've never been before, but that's just sold it to me! :)

13. banham.tiger

ha ha didn't mean to upset anyone or make it come across that way but obviously people have different interests.

14. Nisha

A female Fennec Fox has arrived from Palm Beach Zoo in the USA

15. banham.tiger

16. banham.tiger

If anyone has any pictures of the old lion housing at Africa alive i would be very grateful to see them please as this would help with some work i am doing.:)

I know this is a Africa alive thread but could i be a bit extra greedy and ask if anyone has any of the old snow leopard enclosure at banham zoo.:)

17. Nisha

A male Drill has joined the collection from Bristol - he will be housed in the former Chimpanzee exhibit. Also mentioned in the press release that they plan to bring in two females for him at a later date

18. pipaluk

Was a surprise to see him today, have Bristol still got Drill? I was there at the end of February and only remember seeing the one male & a female.
    A good addition for Africa Alive.

19. Nisha

Bristol originally had 2.0 (from the now dispersed Woburn group) One of these males was joined by two females from Barcelona last July. Whilst the second disappeared around the time the females arrived (presumably offshow waiting to go to Suffolk) so Bristol should still have 1.2 unless they've decided to exchange males...

20. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Woburn Drill Group.

What happened to the rest of Woburn's group of five male Drills remains something of a mystery. They came from Hanover and were surplus males presumably all bred there. I was given to understand they were castrated. That evidently wasn't completely correct, as at least the two that went to Bristol obviously weren't, given Bristol have now set up a breeding trio using one of them, and the second male now at AA is to eventually get females also.(These will presumably have to come from Europe as did Bristol's).

Perhaps the other three males were castrated. Whether or not, they do not appear to be recorded as going anywhere else, either within in the UK or back to Europe. If anyone knows more, I'd be interested to know.