Join our zoo community

Africa Alive! Africa Alive

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Kifaru Bwana, 13 Aug 2007.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

1.1 Acacia Rats have gone onshow in the Aardvark house. These are the only ones in the UK

2. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Nisha, you probably mean that they are the only ones in a UK Zoo ? As I am sure you know that there are actually large numbers of them in private hands in the UK. A nice species, I don`t know why there are not more in zoos.

3. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

Following an interview with the director, he announced a ten year plan to make Africa Alive! a better and more enjoyable experience. He also announced that there would be an expansion to the plains of Africa paddock and a refurbishment of the woodland walk where the flamingos are.

He also said "There are key species we would love to have, but i am not going any further than that".

Personally i would love to see chimpanzees, leopards and hippos but i am not sure what they are planning.

4. Nisha

The parks final hybrid Giraffe females (Puzzle and Snippet) made the move to Banham today. Leaving AA with the pure herd of Reticulated Giraffe

5. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

0.1 drill "Rouka" has arrived from Edinburgh zoo

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Presumably this would the non(?)-breeding one of the two sisters which originally came from Columbus USA, to Edinburgh.

7. banham.tiger

She was the female i met during my keeper for the day experience :)

8. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Me and the wife visited yesterday as part of our zoo tour (number 30 for the year), and were very lucky as they announced officially the birth of three Fossa cubs, born on 6th July. Yesterday was the first time they were let out to explore their back enclosure. It was great to see then climbing about, with mum keeping a watchful eye on them.

Other highlights were the fairly recent arrivals of 2 brush tailed porcupines and 2 male Senegal bushbabies - truly amazing seeing them jumping from branch to branch. I heard they also have two females currently off show.

9. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

10. banham.tiger

Work has begun on expanding the plains of Africa paddock that is home to giraffe, white rhino, zebra, ostrich and blesbok.

11. banham.tiger

One male and one female mangabey have arrived! They are a new species to the collection.

12. Nisha

Not just any Mangabey, Golden Bellied Mangabey's! 1.1 from Wuppertal and Port Lympne

13. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

So does this mean they have finally put them on-show,as they have had them for nearly a year now?

14. banham.tiger

They only arrived in February. The drills arrived a year ago and are house in the old chimp enclosure.

15. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

The mangabeys certainly weren't there (or imminently arriving) at the time of the Bartlett Society event there in May last year. There was a Drill at that point, though.

Good to see they have materialised!

16. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

How does this leave Port Lympne for Golden Bellied Mangabey? I'm sure there were still 2 there when I last went in August last year.

17. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

In that case I have got my wires crossed then!Where the Bartlett Society members told that they were arriving then?

18. Maguari

We asked about them and as I recall got one of those 'now how do you know to ask that?' looks!

I can't honestly remember exactly how specific the answer was, but it was certainly that they were not on the point of arriving. I think it was in the area of 'maybe at some point'.

19. banham.tiger

Was anything mentioned about the leopards?

20. Maguari

Nothing specific that I recall. I got the feeling that any future plans species-wise were at such an early stage that they weren't able to say anything too specific on anything! :D