Join our zoo community

Africa Alive! Africa Alive

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Kifaru Bwana, 13 Aug 2007.

1. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

I wonder where the mangabeys are housed??? They look like they are in the main primate row but unless a species has left then they should all be full:confused:

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

AA GB Mangabeys

Am wondering the same thing. Also whether its the male or the female at AA that came from PL.

3. Pertinax

AA Drills

That is/was the 2nd male from Bristol (which may have also previously been from Hanover and then to Woburn?)

The female arrived later, around July, from Edinburgh (see Kiang's post above). She is one of the two sister females that Edinburgh received from Columbus USA (so far the non-breeding one?) This makes AA the fourth UK collection currently holding them.

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the female came from Wuppertal,in which case she has finally arrived in the UK 6 years later than planned!But not at either of the collections she could have gone to back then!

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Affirmative.

The other individual was transferred to Magdeburg.

Zoo Wuppertal plans to re-start exhibiting with golden-bellied mangabey once they have completed their renovation of the Primate Building into an Africa House.

6. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A female white rhino is leaving for CERZA in France.

7. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Beth arrived at CERZA earlier today. Africa Alive recently received female, Njiri from Knowsley in exchange

8. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A baby Senegal bushbaby was born on 7th May.

9. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Points noted today, 3rd July, having not visited since spring 2015:

Golden Bellied Mangabey now 1.2, old male from Port Lympne, females from Wuppertal & France (?). Male offshow, they are in the Vervet enclosure.

King Colobus number 5

Drill still 1.1

Black Crowned Crane youngster seen

Glad to see the bushbabies, good addition since previous visit along with brush-tailed porcupines

7 species of lemur, black lemur born in May.

Still just the 2 hunting dog sisters - wish they'd stuck with striped hyaena!

Several Barbary Sheep young.

10. Pertinax

Really surprised this animal is still alive, provided its the same animal(Sancho?) let alone him being transferred to another collection with the presumed hope of breeding. It does confirm PL received a different male not so long ago too.

11. kiang

Work has commenced on an extension to the African plain paddock

12. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think work commenced some time ago, it didn't look too far from complete when I was there last month, apart from the lack of visitor barriers.

13. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

What does the lion pride here consist of?

14. banham.tiger

There are seven lions. Four males and three females.

Zero is the pride leader and the other castrated males are tor, makimba and jabu. There are then three females called little mo, sarabi and kaya.

Zero and little mo are the parents of the five other lions. Tor, makimba and sarabi where born in 2006 and kaya and jabu where born in 2009.

15. littleRedPanda

Thanks banham.tiger :)

My third visit today, afternoon instead of morning hoping to catch some action from them. There appeared to be a 4 to 3 split as they slept on different sides of the viewing platform (not on the platform, obviously) but I wasn't sure of the sexes due to the varying sizes. When they were awake, the 3 appeared nervous of the others' presence and eventually the larger number did all chase them around the trees soon before being called in. Quite exciting :D

16. littleRedPanda

I just realised it was your Tiger Up A Tree photo that made me want to go there BT :)
    I wonder if it was the same one that fled up a tree this time too. I've added a couple of photos of who I assume are the boys (with one of the girls)

17. banham.tiger

I hope you enjoyed your visit as I think this place is a lovely collection to visit and I also think it has great potential. Next year they hope to start building a leopard enclosure and I am going to go back once it is finished. :)

18. kiang

For African leopards?

19. overread

overread Well-Known Member

Visited today, been quite a long while since my last visit though they are now doing Winter Season Tickets (which like their annual also get you into Bahanam Zoo) which I've now got (apparently only around their 3rd or so person to get one so they are very new).
    A nice idea and takes the sting out of an otherwise £60odd single cost. Valid from October through to March and in a passing comment I get the feeling that if they do well they might try and do an upgrade option to a full annual season ticket come the end of March (at least staff there felt it was the right direction to go).

So I might be going a fair bit more this winter I hope.

Must say its the first time I've seen Asian short-clawed otters with a single otter in a pen (who was very squeaky come feeding time and quite insistent that he was starving and needed fish - the gulls were too!) though apparently he's awaiting a new female to come join him whilst others have gone to another collection.

20. banham.tiger

Did you see any work on a new enclosure for leopards?