Join our zoo community

Africa Alive! Africa Alive

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Kifaru Bwana, 13 Aug 2007.

1. overread

overread Well-Known Member

I had no idea there was work going on toward it so never asked nor looked for it. I didn't spot any new build going on but its been a year or more since I was last there. The only things I did note were that their chimps were gone (or moved out of sight) and that there were a few pens at one end (I think bird cages/pens) which were boarded off (I assume under renovation or closed to public or removed species)

2. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The bird cages that I think you refer to have been sealed off for several years. Last Chimp moved on at least 18 months ago I think, replaced by Drill.

3. overread

overread Well-Known Member

Ahh then its more than a year since I was last there - scary how fast time flies past!

4. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

I know of a couple of developments that Africa Alive are planning to undertake but they seem to be taking forever to complete them

5. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Those were the old fossa breeding pens, and also talapoin - circa 1998. I was surprised to see them still standing on my visit last year.

6. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

8. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The latest ZSEA Magazine has an article on the pair of drills . A baby was born in May but died after 10 days , it seems the mother did not have enough milk but otherwise looked after the baby well , it was her first birth . They are training the female to take liquid feeds so that a supplement can be given to help with milk production if another baby is born .

9. Pertinax

I had not realised this pair have bred. A pity the young DNS but good that they are now breeding, as it means all four holders of drills in UK are now doing so. The AA female is( I believe) the sister of the female at Edinburgh, though up till now this one had not bred. Both came originally from Columbus USA and were in the 8-10 age group when they came to the UK. So this female must be around 15+ now but hopefully the pair will still go on to have some success breeding-wise.

10. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

From Facebook:

On the 17th of February, a very important baby drill monkey was born to parents Donga and Rouka. The baby, a little male named Kofi, is extremely important to the captive population and we are thrilled that Rouka is proving to be such a relaxed and attentive mother. This is yet another important addition to the park and Donga and Rouka’s baby will hopefully play a crucial role in assisting with the European breeding programme for this incredibly endangered species.

pipaluk, drill, kiang and 2 others like this.
  11. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Great news on the drill front, coupled with the golden mangabey birth it's doubly fantastic. This collection has so much potential and seems to be embracing the African theme, let's hope they keep adding unusual taxa. :)

Quincey and pipaluk like this.
  12. Pertinax

It is indeed.:) Perhaps this female was inhibited from breeding by her sister when in Edinburgh, the move has certainly been beneficial and with this second baby seemingly safely past the early days, all four groups of Drills in UK can now be said to be breeding successfully. AA don't mention if they are doing the supplementary feeding as they planned to- maybe it hasn't proved necessary.

Still trying to ascertain if the GB Mangabey baby is a UK first breeding.

13. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It has been listed on the Bartlett Society website as a first UK breeding

Pertinax and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  14. kiang

Brum likes this.
  15. kiang

0.1 Nyala born 26/3, would this be a first breeding at the park?

16. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

An Aardvark was born on 16th May

kiang likes this.
  17. ajmcwhipsnade

ajmcwhipsnade Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm currently on holiday in Suffolk and was able to visit Africa Alive today. Overall impressions of the park were really good. Good sized enclosures, well kept and and some firsts for me as well!

Saw my first Drills, Golden-Bellied Mangabeys, Blue-Eyed Black Lemur and possibly Bat-Eared Fox (they had them at Twycross when I first went but I don't remember seeing them).

Highlights were the Zulu Nation performance, Congo Buffalo, Barbary Sheep and Fossa (though my back was heavily aching by then).

Overall really enjoyed my day!

kiang likes this.
  18. ajmcwhipsnade

I just have a couple of quick questions. Where abouts are the bushbabys and Brush Porcupines kept? I was hoping to see them but didn't find them in the park.

19. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They are in building at the back of the farmyard. You have to walk through the farmyard to access it. Inside the building are also acacia rats, spiny mice and the indoor viewing for the Aardvarks.

20. ajmcwhipsnade

I suspected that may have been where they were. That's frustrating as I saw the aardvarks indoors. I could only see two other enclosures. Oh well maybe it was shut off or I was just silly and somehow missed them