Join our zoo community

Africa Rocks Review

Discussion in 'United States' started by Ninja Penguin, 1 Jul 2017.

1. Ninja Penguin

Ninja Penguin Active Member

Today marks the opening of the Cape Fynbos section of Africa Rocks and I had the opportunity to check it out before it got that busy. Upon my arrival I was in awe. From the large waterfall just past the penguins, the large underwater viewing station and all the African flora scattered around, I realized that the San Diego Zoo was really not playing around with this new section. Another minor detail I noticed was the remnants of some of the old cat canyon exhibits as well as Huntes amphitheater which looks like it may be used in the future. It was nice that it looked like they tried to preserve the old historic exhibits.
    Now on to the exhibit. When walking in to the underwater viewing, you first notice the huge tank that lets out a bright blue reflection of the water on to the somewhat barren concrete viewing area. Overall the viewing area was pretty dull, but it was very roomy which was cool. Several leopard sharks swam around the artificial rock in it. Very beautiful overall but my overall strife was that the there were artificial plants and seaweed which was a little week but hopefully that will change in some time. Overall it was an 8/10 area. Next, I moseyed on up to the rocky shores part where I saw most of the penguins. Here, the water was a lot more shallow but still provided plenty of swimming room for the sharks and penguins. Upon my first arrival, all of the penguins were on the shore or in the burrows built in to the rockface in the back. However, after several minutes, one of penguins nervously dived in the water and swam on down to the large underwater where it became more comfortable. The shores of the exhibit were phenomenal with a rocky floor and several shore plants. The rock face was modeled after actual African coast so it was very genuine looking for artificial rock. With little time i suspect the penguins will become much more comfortable with their new exhibit and start exploring more. I would for sure give this part a 9/10.
    Overall, I think Africa rocks has potential to be one of the best additions to the San Diego Zoo in its history. I cant wait for the rest to open. One of the volunteers said they were around 14 days behind due to the rains so i suspect the rest should be opened within the next few months.

Arizona Docent and pachyderm pro like this.
  2. Ninja Penguin

Ninja Penguin Active Member