Join our zoo community

African Elephant

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Ara, 14 Jul 2007.

1. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So can you see through the self serving, money begging BS?

2. Steve Robinson

This IS a cow that has been handled FC all her life from her very early days at Honolulu Zoo.

Last edited by a moderator: 25 May 2010
  3. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm having trouble replying on my computer. I said the sanctuaries only keep cows so that they can handle all of their elephants in fc. The article said they were trying to get her used to pc because that's how the sanctuaries do it. This makes no sense to me.

4. Steve Robinson

Mate - you are making no sense to me.

Your reply came through loud and clear.

Looking forward to your other reply.

5. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

So do they keep in PC or FC!

6. torie

torie Well-Known Member

i think that what jarret is trying to say is that as well as the article making false claims about the zoo intending on sending her away whilst still pouring lots of money into a barn and a paddock that implies that she is infact not going any where for a very long time they are also trying to justify their decision to switch the managment of this animal from FC (which is what she would have had in the circus) to their chosen method of PC under the guise that it will make her life in a sanctuary that she probably will wont get to easier for her.

basically the hidden message in the article is that she isnt going any where and they are changing their management strategies

7. Jarkari

Steve - I had written a more detailed reply on my computer which did not post. The last reply was less detailed and on my phone. I am agreeing with You and Torie Steve.

Ben - Franklin Zoo Keeps in Protected contact. The sanctuaries they have discussed sending her to keep in Free Contat. I'm not sure what there is to not understand here.

8. Jarkari

Exactly what I was trying to say but slightly less eloquently. I apologise if it didn't make sense but I have done 90 hours since friday. I have worked 64 out of the last 72 hours. My brain is mush.

9. Steve Robinson

Hmmmm! Perhaps you should have refrained from posting mush?

The fact remains that this is a very well adjusted animal that has adapted to it's new home as you would expect any well adjusted circus animal to do.

I am outraged that previously unemployable zoo "experts" are bludgeing a living from this elephant.

I have nothing against Franklin Zoo and can understand that they will want [need] to turn every dollar that they can out of Jumbo.

I am saddened that they need to misrepresent the facts to do so.

10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Jumbo-sized payout for sacked elephant handler - Yahoo!Xtra News

11. kiwipo

kiwipo Well-Known Member

that was the zoo owners words, not mine, I took it to mean they were allowing her to live as naturally as possible without feeling the need to perform tricks.

Last edited: 24 Dec 2010
  12. Jarkari

Before accusing someone of abusing you maybe look the word up in a dictionary.

13. kiwipo

kiwipo Well-Known Member

Means contradictory term or similar doesnt it, but its commonly used as an insult too, If she didnt mean to insult then I apologise,

14. kiwipo

kiwipo Well-Known Member

The insults and insinuation were flying and fast on the previous pages to this thread, with a number being directed at Franklyn Zoo by people including yourself saying they are being somewhat two faced by saying they are preparing the elephant for possible future sanctuary living, and yet building a purpose made elephant house for her.

The owner of Franklyn, Dr Schofield, is quite approachable and only to happy to answer any questions about Mila. Perhaps instead of making up your own theories you could get in touch with her and ask her.

The elephant isn't owned by Franklyn, but its become clear over the last few years that there just isn't the money to transport her overseas, and so far they haven't had any offers from a reputable sanctuary. None of the zoos in NZ or Aus want her, so it's pretty safe to say she will be at Franklyn for a while yet. the only thing she doesnt have there is the company of another elephant, which she hasn't had since she was a calf.

Not quite sure what someone meant by elephant experts being kept in work because of her, the original keeper who mainly first looked after her at Franklyn was already there when she arrived.

Not long after she arrived two keepers who worked with african elephants in aus came over to advise on her upkeep.

But as I say, any questions you can ask her yourself. Be a lot better than speculation.