Join our zoo community

African Elephants in Europe

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by bommel, 9 May 2018.

1. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

Sabie and Tooth mated in Wuppertal! Interesting! Her last calf is only six months old. Wuppertal is simply the best.

2. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Good news! Considering there is only a 28 month difference between two of her other calves (Uli and Moyo), I would say there is a good chance that Sabie, if not already, will fall pregnant again soon enough.

I'm very excited up for Wuppertal, Tooth is an absolutely amazing looking bull, and especially with Sweni he will produced stunning and genetically valuable calves.

Elephantelephant likes this.
  3. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Better than all the rest?

4. Hyak_II

In terms of current breeding in Europe, yes. Howletts and Ramat Gan both had their time in the spotlight for production in the past, and Cabarceno has been steadily producing calves as well, however when you factor in the number of cows, calving interval, and number of calves produced, Wuppertal is hard to beat! When looking only at currently surviving calves, since 2005 there have been 11 calves produced at Wuppertal, plus a further 2 conceived (but born at other facilities), for a total of 13. In comparison, Cabarceno has had a total of 14 still living calves produced since their first successful calf in 1995, and Howletts and Ramat Gan tied with 13 since their first in 1997 and 1974, respectively.

Or even in the past 10 years, Wuppertal comes in the lead with 8, followed by Howletts and Cabarceno tied with 6, and Ramat Gan with a big 'ol 0.

Elephantelephant likes this.
  5. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Well, that's better than anyone. Anyone I ever met, anyway.

6. Hyak_II

Most definitely the betterest of anyone. I did meet one fellow who lives up in the Yukon who claims to have out elephanted Wuppertal, but I would regard anything he says as sketchy at best.

7. Elephantelephant

Wuppertal is truly invincible! Of the three adult cows, two are now pregnant: Tika (12, expecting the 1st calf) and Sweni (26, expecting the 5th calf). Sabie gave birth to her fifth offspring in April, but she may be pregnant again, and next year she will become a grandmother thanks to her daughter Tika.

Kifaru Bwana and Marco Penello like this.
  8. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

All three are pregnant. The third cow will give birth to an A.I. made calf, father is"Abu"from Halle Zoo.

9. Elephantelephant

No, only two are pregnant. Thanks to AI Tika will give birth . Sweni also expects a calf. Sabie is now mating again, so it's not known yet.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Elephantelephant

Zoo-Elefant reißt sich Rüsselspitze ab
    The accident happened in Magdeburg.
    Mwana, the only elephant cow in the Magdeburg Zoo, has pinched her trunk tip and pulled it off.
    About the inches of her highly sensitive tactile organ are off ...
    An animal keeper electrically opened one of the large hydraulic gates to let the elephant lady out ...
    Mwana knows the procedure, otherwise it always stays behind with sufficient distance.
    But that morning she was suddenly putting her trunk in a slot in the gate - and suddenly roared vigorously.

I wish her an early recovery and to learn to eat and drink again.

EsserWarrior likes this.
  11. Hyak_II

Youch! This, unsurprisingly, has happened to a number of elephants in the past, and they always manage just fine afterwords, but I can not imagine it being a terribly pleasant time for the elephant while they heal.

EsserWarrior likes this.
  12. Elephantelephant

In Howletts wild animal park was born a small bull. Uzuri (11) was the mother for the first time, and Coco (19) was the father for the third time.:):):)

13. Elephantelephant

Animal park defends plan to send elephant herd to Africa
    I found this article about moving elephants from Howletts to Africa. The whole project is criticized by experts and even former zookeepers. Unfortunately, the Howletts insist on moving. The only ones who are enthusiastic are animal rights activists :(...
    I was hoping that the project would be canceled, but it is not happening yet. I'm very worried about the life of elephants. It is especially sad that Howletts does not take into account the opinion of many experts or zookeepers who have been caring for elephants for many years.

StoppableSan and Rajang-GOAT like this.
  14. Mr.Ivory

Mr.Ivory Well-Known Member

This whole thing is a publicity stunt to get in good graces with Animal Rights Groups

Elephantelephant and Rajang-GOAT like this.
  15. dillotest0

dillotest0 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd say that Damian is much a man of his own will - even though his parks are essentially governed by the EAZA, it seems that he is totally averse to the practices of the body. I'd believe that for what it's worth, Aspinall's elephants may well be better off staying in captivity - as are many other elephants of the zoo - in the good circumstance, a zoo-elephant can be used as an educational model, making visitors more empathetic for wild elephants - I'd think that the best way to conserve wild elephant populations is to simply protect what habitat these elephants have - as opposed to having a 'gamble' and seeing whether your re-wilded elephants make it through or not. And meanwhile, we create better facilities for the elephants we have in zoos, as well as making sure we can accommodate a future population sustainably. In some cases, I would say that re-wilding can definitely work, but in the case of the Aspinalls, these elephants have essentially lived in Kent all of their lives, and it would perhaps be best not to take a gamble - even getting to Africa could lead to complications, as it happened with Zambezi the Rhinoceros in 2019. In any case, from what I have heard, the elephants won't even be truly re-wilded - they will continue to be maintained by a governing body, so is it truly too different from them living out their future lives in Kent?
    But I digress, even Damian's Ratel are destined for Africa at some point in the future - even as an impure animal subspecies-wise..

Last edited: 2 Feb 2022
  16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is simply no value in bringing mixed South African elephant genetic stock to Kenya in East Africa. Nor Tanzania or Uganda. Elephant populations are actually recovering in Tsavo f.i. and simply put a few elderly wild nor captivebred offspring will bring anything substantial for conservation in situ.

Darn KWS is opposed as our Kenyan authorities and factor in the post colonialist element in this to override what local authorities deem right and you are on a disaster line track. It much seems like a failed failing all sound reintroduction guidelines and protocols PR stunt for DA and his foundation. That many keepers are unhappy about it is equally telling.

Last edited: 2 Feb 2022
  17. Elephantelephant

Sad news from Planete Sauvage. African elephant cow Flora dead at 34 years old due the severe fracture of the front leg. Unfortunately, she did not manage to save. How the injury happened to her was not mentioned. :(

18. ZCChip

ZCChip Well-Known Member

How unfortunate. I am sorry for her keepers and those who loved her.

It could be just a freak accident or a misstep.

Rajang-GOAT likes this.
  19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

How many elephants do they have left?

20. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just one - an African cow named Bamba (1989).