Join our zoo community

African monkey house

Discussion in 'Germany' started by kiang, 1 Aug 2008.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I had to start this thread to register my shock and disappointment at this fairly new house, i think zebraduikers description to this photo says it all!:eek:

For such a new construction the indoor areas have a definate 60's zoo build feel about it, very disappointing, especially again with the size of the public area and the whole barrenness of the building.

Species in the house are gelada baboon, red crowned mangabey, patas monkey and the 4th i forget!:eek:

http://www.zoobeat.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/10481

I would also like to know what are the outdoor areas like?

2. Animal

Animal Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Huge, but just gras... Some woodloks, around glas and fences, a net above. Not that nice. The baboons have some islands, that are cool, but the rest...

3. Animal

In the house in winter:

[​IMG]

Sadly they have in winter just a small room, 5 sitting-things (lost the word :D ) at the walls and 3 ropes...

4. Animal

Hm, edit don't work... So a tripple posting ;)

DeBrazzas:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Baboon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

At the Beginning of July, they had five species in it( that house was originally constructed for four species, but it was used for a few years for six, so two species had to change the ourdoor exhibits every day )The fith species I'bve seen were a lemur, but I forgot, which one, because I just wanted to leave this terrible house a soon as possible.....

6. Animal

Right, the Mona-Monkey isn't in stock anymore. The lemures are the black ones i think.

7. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

I think you're right. I've found them in the guidebook, not in the monkeyhouse,but in the "Lemurenstation".

I can't understand this house, to make good indoor exhbits for monkeys can't be so difficult....( and it IS not difficult )I ask me, how the monkey keepers there think about this house....

8. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's disgusting, I've seen exhibits built decades that are better then that. And I thought of a name for those seats that the gibbon is sitting on...Fugly Plats "****ing Ugly PLatforms" but Fugly Plats sounds cooler.