Join our zoo community

African Or Asian Elephant: Which Is Better?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Sarus Crane, 10 Jan 2021.

1. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I hope that this isn't a stupid question, but I was wondering if a zoo wanted to start getting into elephants which species should they consider? What made me ponder this question is:

1) Which species is more adaptable with weather hardiness (cold vs hot temps)?
    2) Which species is more popular with the public?
    3) Which species breeds more readily in captivity and has a better rate of survival against EEHV?
    4) Which species is generally more readily available (AZA/ZAA transfers)?
    5) Which species is least expensive overall if you have the same number of animals and genders at a given facility?
    6) Which species drives more enthusiasm for conservation efforts in the wild?

[​IMG]

2. Mai Thai

Mai Thai Well-Known Member

1) Asian
    2) African
    3) Asian
    4) Asian
    5) Asian
    6) African

Sarus Crane and Elephantelephant like this.
  3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

1. Asian
    2. I really don't think the average person knows the difference, if they do probably African
    5. Asian
    6. African

4. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

1/ Asian
    2/ African
    3/ Asian
    4/ Asian
    5/ Asian
    6/ Both. Even if the African elephants are more known by the public, Asian can prove to be very interesting, even if there's a well-designed Asian zone (Asia hosts a lot of charismatic species, including Tigers, Rhinos, Orang-utans...).

5. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

My same answers. I agree.

6. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

1) asian
    2) african
    3) asian (it is more peaceful and gives birth to more calves) and african (greater chances of calves surviving, dying very rarely at EEHV)
    4) asian
    5) asian
    6) probably african

7. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

1) Asians
    2) Both are equally popular, I would say
    3) Both species, with the right management and individuals, can be equally prolific. That said, Asians tend to hit sexual maturity a bit faster in captivity than Africans. In terms of survival against EEHV, definitely Africans.
    4) Asians
    5) Assuming no health issues, costs will be about the same. However if it is a breeding group, Asians will likely end up being the more expensive of the two due to potential EEHV issues down the road (it is NOT cheap to treat!)
    6) They both have very strong conservation messages, Africans mainly through poaching, and Asians mainly through human/elephant conflict and habitat loss.

8. Sarus Crane

I like both species. With the EEHV I would choose African, but overall I would pick Asian. Big old bulls look prehistoric especially those from Northern India and Nepal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is especially true for bulls from Dalip's (Zoo Miami) lineage. As they mature their front legs keep growing as they get older while their rear ones slow down making them look more like a mammoth. Some bulls have towering craniums reminiscent of Palaeoloxodon recki.

As for Africans big adult bulls can look just as impressive with their broad premaxillaries and heavy wrinkled skin. I've visited Jacksonville zoo over the years since 2005 and it has been such a treat seeing Ali, Michael Jackson's elephant mature into a good looking bull.

Either way like how everyone has posted here there are many reasons to choose and depending upon budget and program priorities. They both make great options.

9. Sphenisciologist

Sphenisciologist Well-Known Member

Asian elephants fit more of a child-like look, and I can see them more in forest, tropical and river settings. African elephants, I visualize in dry, humid settings and overall look more intimidating. Personally, I like Asian elephants better, but I like both.

BenFoxster, Canihelpyou? and Mai Thai like this.
  10. Sarus Crane

I always thought Asians were more intimidating because their smaller ears make their heads look bigger and their overal physique looks more prehistoric. I always thought Africans look kinda goofy with the big ears.

JT and Sphenisciologist like this.
  11. CleZooMan

CleZooMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Personally, I like African elephants more, but I think it's because it's what I am most familiar with (since it's what my home zoo- Cleveland Metroparks- has). I do always like seeing Asian elephants when I go to Columbus, however...

12. Komodo Dragon

Komodo Dragon Well-Known Member

It was actually once speculated that the northern Indian elephant population could be classified as a separate species part of the Stegodon genus because of these physical differences.

Corangurilla likes this.
  13. Haley

Haley Well-Known Member

Honestly I prefer Asian elephants, but I think Africans are also pretty cool.

14. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I always thought Asian elephants looked happy like dolphins do. As far as my favorite species, it's a tie.

15. GaryA

GaryA Well-Known Member

African Pygmy Elephants. They are so cool, they may not even exist....
    Supposedly distinct and even smaller than Forest Elephants, they are a deep jungle type that has even been held in captivity but never had its scientific status fully verified.