Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo African Painted Dogs with Curator of Mammals, Tim Rowlands

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by zoogiraffe, 11 Mar 2011.

1. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

For our our third ‘walk-and-talk’ event, which will take place on Saturday, 16th April 2011, we’re offering an unmissable opportunity to tour the on-show elements of the exciting new African painted dogs development with Chester Zoo’s Curator of Mammals, Tim Rowlands, who is also project manager for the exhibit. Tim has spent many years working towards the addition of African painted dogs to the zoo’s collection and his enthusiasm for these intelligent and engaging animals has been evident throughout the build.

The African painted dog exhibit is Chester Zoo’s major new addition for 2011, occupying a huge site formerly occupied by two Przewalski horse paddocks, their stables and hard-standing. The purpose-built exhibit includes two separate enclosures, off-show dens and keeper area, on-show dens and a large, covered research station (complete with movie theatre) that offers unique, up-close viewing opportunities through large windows out across the exhibit.

In addition, the area includes themed enclosures for the zoo’s porcupines and a group of rock hyrax, a new addition to the collection, together with a conveniently placed food outlet and outstanding views over the adjacent roan antelope paddock.

After a break for lunch in the staff canteen above the Fountain Shop, the day will continue with a tour of the mammal exhibits in East Zoo and will feature updates on the zoo’s giant otters, a visit to Spirit of the Jaguar, Visayan warty pigs, giraffes and okapi.
    Meet at 10:30am outside the Guest Services Pavilion (inside the main entrance)
    Morning tour of the African painted dog exhibit
    Lunch in the staff canteen above the Fountain Shop
    Afternoon tour of East Zoo
    Note that although the event itself is free, normal zoo admission applies and anything purchased from the staff canteen is also an extra charge. There is no age restriction, but children under twelve must be accompanied by an adult, who, together with carers are considered to be a second attendee. The time at which the event ends may vary, so please keep that in mind when making travel arrangements or letting your family or carers know where you are. Lunch will be served in the staff canteen, an area not open to the public and therefore with limited disabled access.

Numbers are strictly limited and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. Once all places are filled, we’ll be running a reserve list for those who have missed out. To secure your place, please send me a private message (PM) remembering to say whether you will be eating lunch, together with your real name and a contact number.

The African painted dog exhibit at Chester Zoo will be officially opened by Tony Fitzjohn, OBE of Tanzania’s Mkomazi Game Reserve on Wednesday, 6th April, 2011. It will open to the general public at Easter, 2011.

2. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

PM sent, sounds like a great day - and glad some Spirit of the Jag stuff is included :)

3. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

Sent you a PM too, as Javan Rhino said, Im sure it will be great fun!

4. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You've got another one, give me dogs over apes anytime.

5. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

PM sent. It's two days before my birthday so will just have to hope family don't get any ideas about doing things that day. Will just have to deflect them to Sunday if so!

6. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

Although not able to attend.

I would make a recommendation for everyone to try and read Tony's recent book. It's a brilliant insight into how things were for him. From his first moments working with George in Kora to the present day. My wife bought it for me at Christmas. a brilliant read.

7. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

I've read it too. Really enjoyed. The politics behind conservation are fascinating.

For the Walk and Talk - if we have another photo can I go at the back again? Thank you :D

8. zoogiraffe

Less than 5 hours gone and half the places have gone already!!

9. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

Woof, Grrr, Howl, arf arf Hooowwwllll

Can't wait for this one :O)

10. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

PM sent hope i get a place:p

11. Cheetah fan

Cheetah fan Well-Known Member

PM sent. This is the event I have been waiting for :). Hopefully can get my name on the list. Can I ask what the case with Cameras are for this event?

12. zoogiraffe

The use of cameras will the same rules as normal for one of these events,anything that cannot be taken from where the public can get is for your own personnal use and not to be posted on the internet at all,not even on a private gallery on the likes of Facebook!!!!

13. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

PM Sent...

14. ZooMania

ZooMania Well-Known Member

Sent my PM. Hoping I'm not too late. Though this is the first one of these events it looks likely I'll be able to attend so knowing my luck - I probably am.

15. zoogiraffe

We have now filled 2/3rds of the places available!

16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I will most probably attend this time. Thanks for heeding the advance notice. Will pm / e-mail before long sometime today. :)

17. GillP

GillP Well-Known Member

Would love to come but don't think the budget can stand 2 trips 'up north' in quick succession ! Have a great time everyone !

18. Red Panda

Red Panda Well-Known Member

Aww would love to go on this, but probably the places have all been taken. Also does my partner who isnt a member of zoo chat have to register if he wants a place in the future? If so Ill get him to register tonight xx

19. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Zoogiraffe will update the thread when all the places are taken, and as that hasn't happened yet, it means there are a few remaining (single digits as of last night).
    No, you can register for both of you. In fact, one doesn't have to be a member of ZooChat at all to attend one of our events.

20. zoogiraffe

SMR is correct in what he says that we still have places left,and that you don`t have to be a member of zoochat to attend one of these,you just need away of sending me a pm on this site!!

But if you do want a place please book soon as the places are very nearly all taken,and then a reserve list will run in case any one pulls out!