Join our zoo community

African Spur Thigh Tortoises

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by dorothybaez, 10 Jan 2010.

1. dorothybaez

dorothybaez New Member

I am new here and this is my first post. I don't work at a zoo, but I tend to have animals who are somewhat "unusual," in addition to dogs, etc.

I have a question about African Spur Thigh tortoises. I hope this is the right place to ask!

I have looked around this site at pictures of enclosures for them, and have gotten some good ideas. I have plans to build a "tortoise world" for the two African Spur Thighs that I have, and I want to make it the best I can. They are about 5 years old, and are ready for a permanent enclosure. (They have had a movable enclosure up to now.)

I would really appreciate any tips and suggestions, especially ideas on entertaining them!

Thanks so much!

2. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'd build something outside for the warmer months if you are able to. Natural sunshine is great for them. You live in a fairly warm state, so you could probably get a lot of use out of an outdoor enclosure. Make sure the walls are sturdy and sunken deep into the ground, though. I've heard that when they get big they are capable of bulldozing a chain-link fence.

3. dorothybaez

dorothybaez New Member

Outdoors is what I'm planning. For cold weather, I have a large baby pool that gives them room to move while being small enough to fit in the house. Now at night, I don't leave anyone outside, so now that they're bigger, I'll probably leave the baby pool up. (I used to use the bathtub for nighttime when they were small.)

The great thing about a movable enclosure is that it's great for using the tortoises to keep the grass cut, but like you said, they are living bulldozers. I need to be able to let them be outside without having to hover. (We have LOTS of animals and I tend to be a little OCD about them.) Two summers ago, we were putting shell conditioner cream on them and one walked just a few feet and right into the pool. It was kind of funny because when I jumped in after him, he gave me this look like, "May I help you?" :eek:

Any ideas about what fencing materials are the best?

Thanks so much!