Join our zoo community

Zoo Wroclaw Afrykarium

Discussion in 'Poland' started by kiang, 14 Mar 2010.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

that looks awesome! The hippos don't appear to have much room in the simulation though, and the external design of the building is a bit wierd I think (looks like Noah's Ark has smashed into the side). Overall though, it looks great, really big and comprehensive. And very very expensive to construct no doubt.

3. m...k

m...k Active Member

Here you can find some plans of this investment.

4. brongracz

brongracz Active Member

5. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

"A species of manatee" is the most interesting bit. Have there been any African Manatees in captivity for decades? I'm aware of Antwerp having had some in, when, the 1960s? Any others?

Or will they simply be sourced from across the Southern Atlantic like usual?

6. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

At the time of the Zoohistorica meeting in 2008 they were planning/hoping for African Manatees.

See this thread for some current African Manatees in captivity: ZooChat - Search Results

7. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

How badly I need to tour more Polish zoos; to date it's only been Wroclaw and Opole for me. I know a few people who have done trips there over the years, including before the Iron Curtain fell, and can only imagine what they've been able to see over the years.

8. brongracz

brongracz Active Member

9. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

The (possibly rather dodgy) Google translator suggests that builders will be tendering for the project next month, and the work may (that's the key word, I suppose) start this autumn. If it does go ahead, it will be one of the most ambitious European zoo projects of recent years. And it certainly looks fantastic - I very much like the fact that it is concentrating on an African theme, rather than trying to do all continents of the world in one building. And I love the external look of the structure too - how wonderful to see architecture that has an aesthetic value in itself. I say this having just seen Chessington's Sealife Centre for the first time. Simply hideous 'architecture' in every way (although I don't think an architect was anywhere near it).

10. brongracz

brongracz Active Member

Google's guesses about the content of the article are correct. They also mention that there only are 5 themed oceanaries like this one in Europe. This will be the only one devoted to Africa. They expect it to draw pan-regional interest.

11. m...k

m...k Active Member

The builders can be tendering for the project next month but they repeat so every month last half a year. The truth is that they wait till the Centennial Hall will announce some works on parking, otherwise such an attraction can cause a big traffic jam there so they want to avoid it.

12. brongracz

brongracz Active Member

Yes and it is also worth adding that everything is very optimistic in this country until tendering procedures join the party. But are they really going to wait for a parking - that can indeed take some time! :)

13. Arek

Arek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Planning costs of Afrykarium are 35 millions euro, so real costs will be much more. It's too much for zoo and they need big support from the city and buisness. But for Wroclaw absolute priority is Euro 2012. So I think that build of Afrykarium will be started at the earliest in autumn 2012. It will be good if they end before jubilee year 2015.

14. m...k

m...k Active Member

Now we know everything :) The tender is over, the company from Wroclaw bidded successfully :)

15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am so happy!

What is the planned opening time? 2013 or 2014 (I would expect 1,5 - 2 years from now)? Or is it really up for next year? :confused:

16. m...k

m...k Active Member

They will be ready with whole the complex for year 2015 - 150th anniversary of the zoo. I heard, they will probably open it part by part before but who knows? The company that won the tender is not known :/

17. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Has it been confirmed what sort of manatee's it will exhibit yet?

18. m...k

m...k Active Member

Well, the complex will house animals of Africa so I'm not sure if we need more confirmation. CEO never talked about Carribean manatees although the fact is last few months when there were articles about Afrykarium any manatees weren't mentioned. Maybe it'll take more time or so, we will see.

19. Arek

Arek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Africarium should be ready for jubilee in 2015 or more probably in 2016 when Wrocław will be European Capital of Culture.

20. m...k

m...k Active Member

Whole the area was fenced last week and some exhibits the are about to be demolished e.g. former waterfowl aviary, serval exhibit or konik corral; lynxes will be displaced probably tomorrow, today some conifers were planted at their new pen