Join our zoo community

Zoo Wroclaw Afrykarium

Discussion in 'Poland' started by kiang, 14 Mar 2010.

1. Pawel_PL

Pawel_PL Active Member

Zoo website published another photos of Afrykarium: Zoo Wroc?aw

2. Taisha

Taisha Well-Known Member

Questions after my recent zoo visit

Is there any chance, that the chimpanzees will later be moved to the Afrykarium?
    I also had no possibility to understand how they are related. Some were all by themselves. Does it mean, they will be sent away sooner or later?
    I could only spot one gibbon, do you have some more?
    Thanks for any information.

3. Pawel_PL

Pawel_PL Active Member

I think there is no chance to move chimpanzees to Afrykarium. There's no way to build outside enclosure for them. Kasia (F, born in 1978, Germany) and Boy (M, 1975, Africa) are parents of Bobi (M, 1991, Wrocław) and Solo (F, 1990, Wrocław). There are also Kizi (F, 1980, Wrocław) and Perła (F, 1969, the Netherlands?) and they aren't related to any animals. No plans about sending chimps are known. Wrocław ZOO has 3 gibbons: 1 (lar gibbon) in Gibbons' Pagoda at the pond and 2 (pileated gibbon) in Terai Pavilion (indian rhinos, giant squirrels).

4. Rhinopithecus

Rhinopithecus Active Member

All chimps apart from very old and suffering from ehumatism Boy are hand-raised monkeys, usually alone what makes forming a cohesive group impossible. They are just individual apes with little or no contact to other in the group.
    The old female gibbon died of cancer last year living "Gibek" alone. This doesn't disturb him at all as he again was hand-raised and first got in touch with another gibbon after well over 25 years of being alone. He doesn't like to go outside being scared of open spaces. That should serve as a warning for people hand-raising monkeys.

5. Taisha

Taisha Well-Known Member

But is not forming groups of Chimps that often have never known other individuals of their kind, what sanctuaries like GAP or Gut Aiderbichl are doing all the time?
    It would however need much more space and a lot of patience to give it a try.
    A handraised Chimp was successfully integrated into the Berlin Zoo group, although she never acquired a taste for grooming.

I wonder, if it was the gibbon Kibek I met, clearly handraised, apparently quite happy and playful. He looked fairly young though.

6. StellarChaser

StellarChaser Well-Known Member

Anyone could provide the detailed species list of the Afrykarium?