Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo After the elephants

Discussion in 'United States' started by savethelephant, 12 Jan 2015.

Tags:
  1. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

so i heard somewhere that after the elephants die they will not be showing elephants anymore:( does anybody know what will replace them in their enclosure?

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Since you are located in New York (according to your profile stats), we will assume you are referring to Bronx Zoo. However, you placed this question in the general United States thread so it is unclear. You may want to repost this in the Bronx Zoo thread.

3. savethelephant

don't reply answer on this thread i have posted this to the bronx zoo forum thank you

4. savethelephant

you can answer again if you found anything

5. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

The Bronx Zoo has not announced any plans for the elephant enclosure in Wild Asia once/if they leave/pass away. The decision to end the elephant program was made by the past zoo director. It has not been addressed since then. It will be interesting to see if the zoo does follow through since their elephants can live for another decade. The exhibit they have currently is very large and shaded so several options that fit the thematic theme...
    Bactrian camel, Kiang or Onager, 2nd Indian rhino exhibit, any wild pig species, a better exhibit for Malaysian Tapir or really almost any Asian Hoofstock could do well here. It is a woodland clearing, but maybe an "Arabia" exhibit with orex and gazelle. Size wise the exhibit could have major modifications and could house something different that isn't currently at Wild Asia; dholes, sun or sloth bears, a macaque or langur species, cheetah (African subspecies, but discuss how they are in the Middle East)...
    Or the zoo can be stubborn and keep elephants.

6. cloudedleopard

cloudedleopard Well-Known Member

What about a northern forest exhibit for Manchurian sika deer, Reeves muntjac, tufted deer, white naped cranes and red-crowned cranes?
    Or... kiangs and onagers, or maybe Thorold's deer in the northern forest exhibit?

7. savethelephant

thanks for your answers guys

8. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This may be a terrible idea, but my mind is screaming (assuming it is even remotely feasible)
    Javan or Sumatran rhinos.

If the zoo is going to do anything "rhino-related" to the enclosure, the more likely action would be a expanded or second Indian rhino exhibit (with one or two species of surrounding hoofstock relocated to other exhibits to accomodate everyone) I am aware that the Bronx Zoo has among the best breeding programs for Rhinoceros unicornis.

I also wish there was a visitor area on the other side of the monorail with a station where people can get off to see some of the animals on the east side of the monorail exhibit. With the elephants away, it could leave room for a station and some visitor amenities.

What do you all think?

9. savethelephant

I think that that has been the dream of all zoochatters in the tri-state area for a while now but we all know that this would make the Bronx zoo even longer to tour.

I wouldn't mind if the Bronx got Sumatrans or Javans:D;):p

10. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think the zoo should add Amur leopards to somewhere in the monorail to be a species they add, and move the indian rhinos to the elephant exhibit.

11. savethelephant

That would be pretty bad as leopards are pretty secretive and combine that with the fact that the monorail goes very fast, that equals no view of leopard

12. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What about orangutans? Do you think they could make a good exhibit for them somewhere in there? What about sloth bears or sun bears? Of course, they could always just put a bunch of random asian hoof stock.

Also, any bears might not make too much sense since theres the bear area in the zoo, but you never know.

I definitely do think they should definitely move the rhinos to the elephant habitat though.

13. savethelephant

Definately no primate on monorail, jungleworld already filled up...

Bear would be nice

14. savethelephant

15. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

16. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

The elephant barn is located in a larger service area that also includes holding for gaur, rhinos and hoofstock. Building a station there would be an extremely expensive project (the station alone would cost), slow down the amount of visitors that could be pushed through the ride per hour, and require some new arrangements to be made for this holding area.
    I'd say rather unlikely and probably not a priority for WCS

17. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Today's NYTimes included a correction stating that the article's author has been found to have signed a petition for the transfer of the zoo's elephants to a sanctuary and so the paper regrets assigning the article to her. It also called out several factual errors about zoos reported in the article as sending elephants to sanctuaries and suggestion that the Toronto elephants were sent by the zoo (rather than by politicians) to a sanctuary.
    These corrections can be found at the very end of the article on line

StoppableSan likes this.
  18. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

They should be at the beginning of the article. Or they should edit the article or pull the article entirely:mad:. I didn't read the article when they first posted it, because I knew it would make me angry and I didn't need that. Maybe I will now, starting with the disclaimer.

StoppableSan likes this.