Join our zoo community

Akron Zoo Akron Zoo News 2015

Discussion in 'United States' started by TigerValley98, 2 Jan 2015.

1. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Three exhibits have been rotated in Journey to the Reef. A lot of horticulture work is being done around the zoo. This is likely because of this summer’s AZA accreditation visit. I was told earlier this year that the old aviary was not reopening this year, but the aviary’s floor has been covered in wood chips and the overgrown plants near the entrance was been trimmed out exposing the door.

2. TigerValley98

The zoo will add new parking facilities later this year. They will include more bicycle parking since the zoo is close to the Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath. The zoo is also adding a Monarch Butterfly Garden in Wild Prairie. It will become a certified Monarch Waystation by Monarch Watch.

3. rainyday

rainyday Member

There is a juvenile Humboldt penguin on exhibit.

4. TigerValley98

5. CleZooMan

CleZooMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You mean the waterfall exhibit after you first walk in, after the penguins? They should renovate what is left of Wild Prairie and turn it into an extension of Grizzly Ridge. I would keep the retired goats by the little playground and the burrowing/snowy owls, but renovate the Frontier Town. I would make it space for an animal such as deer, or raccoons (a native Ohio animal). I would put more turtles in the turtle dome/former prairie dog (?) exhibit. I would call this area "Wild Ohio", and also "attach" the Farmland to Grizzly Ridge.
    Anyway, as for #29, I have wondered that too. I have never seen any black necked swans in there, only ducks. Is that the Tiger Valley gorge exhibit?
    @TV98: Did Wild Prairie used to have prairie dogs? And what happened to the rabbits near the current barn owl exhibit?

6. TigerValley98

The Akron Zoo is saddened to announce the passing of its giant Pacific octopus, Nani. After a significant decline in health, due to old age, zoo staff made the difficult decision to euthanize Nani on Monday, May 4, 2015. The zoo has acquired a new giant Pacific octopus that is now on exhibit.

Nani had been at the Akron Zoo almost two years, arriving in July of 2013. When she arrived her age was unknown, but giant Pacific octopus on average live three years.

“The Akron Zoo community is certainly saddened by the loss of Nani. She was a terrific ambassador for her species,” commented Doug Piekarz, president and CEO.

Nani was a favorite among zoo visitors. When she arrived at the zoo a naming contest was held on October 14, 2013, that yielded 1,400 submissions. The final three choices were written on pumpkins and the octopus touched Nani first and picked her own name.

The new octopus is currently on exhibit at the zoo’s Journey to the Reef exhibit.

Giant Pacific octopus can be found in the northern Pacific Ocean from southern California, north along the coast of North America's Pacific northwest and south to Japan. They live in rocky areas, caves and kelp forests, from the shores to depths of more than 500 feet. They eat fish, shrimp, crabs, scallops, clams and other shellfishes. They are considered mollusks and are related to clams, squid and snails.

RIP Nani.

7. SamMetz

SamMetz Well-Known Member

I had a short visit to the zoo on Mothers Day. There were only a few things I saw that I could update on;

The juvenile penguin was out with the others. He was still molting when I saw him ;)

The zoo has cut back the majority of the vegetation on the TigerValley paths. So much that the foliage that usually gave the lions some extra privacy was removed and had a family of idiots going off the path and up to the perimeter fence and annoying the female lion, Mandisa. I told them to get away from the fence very nicely then went and found a keeper and described the family. :mad:

The new octopus is already on display and has privacy barriers around the tank asking guests to be respectful of her getting use to her new home.

8. TigerValley98

Nature’s Play Space will open in area near the current closed former gibbon exhibit in Tiger Valley in July.

The zoo has a smew in the waterfowl exhibit in Tiger Valley.

The green tree pythons appear to have a new exhibit in Komodo Kingdom.

The Madagascar Building was closed for ‘construction’.

An empty gecko exhibit was sitting just inside the exit of the nocturnal portion of the Mesoamerica Building.

The snow leopard cubs are in the process of leaving. Malaya will go to Los Angeles Zoo. Makalu has already moved to Bramble Park Zoo.

Off the Track Snacks is now the Lil’ Lemonade Stand.

The big barn in Wild Prairie is being renovated. The big front doors have been replaced with a wall.

9. TigerValley98

Construction has begum on Nature's Play Space. The Tiger Valley path will be closed around the old gibbon exhibit periodically during construction. It should be done in July.

10. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

11. TigerValley98

12. TigerValley98

NEW PLAY SPACE, NATURE'S PLAY, NOW OPEN!

The Akron Zoo is encouraging guests to “monkey around” in their new, natural playground. Nature’s Play is now open and comprised of five activities that encourage visitors to test their abilities to that of primates. The new, free play space is located in between the Tiger and Red Panda Exhibits.

The play space, which mirrors how primates play, features natural tree stump stepping stones, a rope walk to increase balance and hand-eye coordination, a rope climb to increase strength, a rope web that visitors must use problem solving skills to conquer, and a nest and a fire hose hammock where kids can rest and play.

“Our goal throughout this play space is to develop the minds of children while encouraging them to care for and appreciate the natural world,” said Autumn Russell, the zoo’s education director. “Nature’s Play focuses on child-directed and open-ended play that uses natural objects to promote ingenuity and recreation.”

https://www.akronzoo.org/News.aspx?P=1

13. TigerValley98

The zoo is surveying guests. Journey to the Reef will be replaced with a new aquatic exhibit to open in 2017.

14. SamMetz

Is there a reason they keep replacing this exhibit? In my opinion its a perfectly fine exhibit and there are areas in the zoo that are desperately in more need to be renovated than the JttR.

15. TigerValley98

It is a temporary exhibit area. Exhibits area meant to last around four years. Larger exhibits and renovations will come later on because they have to wait for the levy money to start coming in. Journey opened in 2012. Grizzly Ridge opened in 2013. I could see a new exhibit in 2018 or 2019. I believe this will deal with the zoo's lack of monkeys and maybe apes. The zoo's first priority has to be parking and it is. Look for more parking in 2016. The zoo has been doing minor renovations around the zoo in the past year or so leading up to AZA accreditation this summer.

16. SamMetz

The zoo has a new capybara named Oscar. They are keeping the jaguars off exhibit while he is out exploring his new home.

The sloth bear exhibit and second tiger viewing window were both blocked off on tuesday.

17. TigerValley98

According to the latest breeding and relocation recommendations, Akron is going to hold a two year old male sloth bear until next year for the zoo in Manhattan, KS.

18. TigerValley98

Everything looks painted and beautiful since the AZA accreditation inspectors are at the zoo beginning today.

19. justbe

justbe Member

I saw two penguin chicks on exhibit this weekend when there was only one earlier this summer.

20. TigerValley98

It sounds like the zoo received a very good exit report from the AZA inspectors.