Join our zoo community

Akron Zoo Akron Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by TigerValley98, 1 Jan 2018.

1. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, at the Bronx Zoo.

2. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They both came from the Bronx Zoo. They actually have been at the zoo since winter. They had to wait until Bucky moved and for the exhibit to be renovated.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. TigerValley98

Correction. They may have arrived at the zoo as early as December.

4. TigerValley98

Avoid the Akron Zoo the 25th and 26th because it is Akron Public Schools Backpack Adventure Days. Attendance can be as bad as field trip days or worse. An announcement will most likely not come these days.

The zoo just added three new events for the following week. The zoo should add an announcement date while they are at it.

5. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I did not know the Bronx Zoo had musk deer. Although they have plenty of species behind the scenes. Does Bronx have the species any more?

6. TigerValley98

I do not know. I think they do.

nczoofan likes this.
  7. nczoofan

Would make sense to be honest. The zoo does really focus on Asian deer. I just wish they would put some of this rare species on display at one of the WCS zoo.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  8. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No. They had the pair for a while with no mention of it whatsoever, but it seems they’ve gone out of them. I do wish they’d get more, they’re a fantastic species and I think SDZ has some to spare. Not sure where a great place to exhibit them would be, but they’d figure something out.

9. nczoofan

Could always just fence off a portion of a wild asia exhibit for them (in the same way they made the rhim gazelle exhibit). We need more species of Asian Deer, only got Pere davids, barasingha, indian muntjac, hog deer, tufted deer, sambar, brow-antler, and axis deer :pCould always replace the tufted deer at prospect deer at Prospect Park with this TAG focus species.

Also I thought they were limited to living in Northern zoos onky due to the negative effects of hot temperature?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. TigerValley98

I found the following under the zoo’s Donate Now section on their website. At least it is something.

Capital Support

Big things are happening at the Akron Zoo and you can be a part of the excitement! A comprehensive campaign is underway to fund the next project in the Akron Zoo’s Master Plan. Our Capital Campaign will help build not one, but two new exhibit areas in the Zoo. This expansion will provide new space for African lions, Sumatran tigers, red pandas, primates and more! More information is soon to come.

11. TigerValley98

Someone else asked about what was going on where Farmland was on Twitter. Here is the zoo’s response:

We are still working out final details and will announce once things are finalized.

It seems like they have been working on the final details for months. At this rate, they will be announced after one or both exhibits are open.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. ZebraDude95

ZebraDude95 Active Member 5+ year member

I really feel like the zoo should convert Wild Prairie into a part of Pride of Africa. Wild Prairie, in my opinion, has nothing to offer except a food area and Snowy Owls, which aren’t really prairie themed. The area should be themed as a Masai village and have activities focused on life in the Masai tribe, such as gathering water. Also, the owls should be phased out and be replaced with a small African species, like the meerkat. Just a thought.

13. TigerValley98

The zoo has just spent time and money doing some upgrades. I could see the region being absorbed by Grizzly Ridge. Especially the lower portion. The only part of Wild Prairie I would like replaced is Frontiertown play area. If Wild Prairie gets rethemed, it will be to Wild Asia and that would be the upper section. At most, I could see the area rebranded. I could see the sheep possibly remaining. They do not fit in the African setting. Before the zoo, the area was called Mouflin Hill. That name would fit.

StoppableSan and ZebraDude95 like this.
  14. TigerValley98

Look what I found on GLMV Zoos Facebook page.

[​IMG]

GLMV Zoos

15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It seems this Africa extension relates to an African lion pride, goats as in Childrens petting Zoo (???), storks (…. I am hard guessing here as it is a bit diffuse) and an unknown fourth species / attraction in the middle.

16. TigerValley98

Farmland is being removed. The sheep will likely stay in Wild Prairie and the goats will be in Pride. The brown path is the new train path. The middle exhibit will feature gazelles (likely Speke’s) and white storks. I wish I knew what was blocked. Hopefully there will be more species in Wild Asia. The path dead ends on the left because this is where future expansions will attach to the zoo.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. TigerValley98

I have been studying this part of the map that is visible. I do not believe that this area includes Farmland. The access road in the back of the exhibit follows the perimeter. Following the geography of the area, there is a slight turn on the right end that would connect up to the old Perkins Park Drive. The interesting question is what will become of current/former Farmland area.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. TigerValley98

19. TigerValley98

Farmland is in this map. The yellow area of right train loop. The rectangle in this area is the existing covered bridge for the current train. This is likely remaining for storage of the train. By realizing this, I am still unsure how this covers the entire cleared area. Time will tell.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. TigerValley98