Join our zoo community

Akron Zoo Akron Zoo Review

Discussion in 'United States' started by Amnesiac, 3 May 2010.

1. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Well-Known Member

I visited the Akron Zoo for the first time this past Saturday. While it may not be the biggest zoo in the world (quite small actually) it does have some first rate exhibits and animals. Actually, there were a few exhibits that I felt were the closest I had ever gotten to those animals before including, the tortoise, flamingos, and the barking deer.You could literally reach out and touch the animals if you wanted to (against the rules and not recommended) they were that close! Other highlights include:

The temperature was a perfect seventy degrees on our visit Saturday and the threat of thunderstorms keep the crowds away, which is good because the zoo was not built for crowd capacity.

I think this was the only zoo I've been to that doesn't feature and of your typical large mammals, such as elephant, zebras, rhinos, giraffes, bison, etc. I didn't realize this though until we had finished walking around. The zoo more than makes up for it with several interesting and unique species such as the sloth bears.

The Jaguars were very active and exciting to watch as well as the snow leopard.

One of the better Red Panda exhibits I've seen in terms of actually being able to see them!

Cute cabybara babies!!

The Akron Zoo has the most interesting predator/prey relationship setup I have seen at a zoo. There seemed to be quite a few exhibits were a predator could see directly into a neighboring prey's enclosure. Most notable of these were the snow leopard/Himalayan tahr and the Jaguars/Capybaras.

My only real complaint about the zoo was that a few seasonal exhibits were still closed but the admission price was increased from the winter to the summer rate, so that was a little disappointing but if the extra cash helps them bring in more animals and build more exhibits then I am all for it.

The Akron Zoo is a great way to spend a few hours and see some incredible animals! Stay tuned for the full set of pictures!

What are your thoughts on the Akron zoo? Any plans for new exhibits?

2. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for the review and future pictures, its always great to fill in the gaps of the zoos with less coverage on the site!

3. Amnesiac

Posted a few pictures here and here. More to come!

4. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Akron Zoo is one of only two zoos in Ohio I haven't visited, the other being Toledo. It's just that it is so far away from where I live. Hopefully I'll be able to get up there sometime and check those two out.

Anyways, great review! I can't wait to see the pictures.

5. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

To appreciate this fine small zoo, I think it helps to understand:

1. They are VERY close to Cleveland Zoo (45 minute drive) and are aware of how different that zoo is
    2. They have a long history of being the small, intimate local zoo and they value that

So if you compare them to one of the mega-zoos you will miss the point

I visited several times in 2002 and again in 2007. I left feeling that Akron was the most wonderfully TRANSFORMED zoo I knew.

6. Amnesiac

A few more pictures.

7. team tapir

team tapir Well-Known Member

There is a project in the works called Animals in the Treetops.Although there are no details yet as far as species or a timeline for this project.

Team Tapir

8. Amnesiac

That's great news! Please keep us informed of any developments!

9. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Interestingly enough there was basically an empty photo gallery for this zoo, but today I filled it with close to 100 photos. As I stated in my review on my road trip thread, Akron has many exhibits that are a tad on the small side, but apparently the zoo specializes in up close encounters.

10. team tapir

Akron Zoo just posted on Facebook that they will have Grizzlies in 2013 along with 5 other species (including black bears, red wolves, and coyotes) in the biggest expansion in zoo history. It will be called The Mike & Mary Stark Grizzly Ridge. (Mike is a board member of the zoo) It will be replacing some older exhibits that are not currently used and the river otter, bald eagle tortoise exhibits (they will have new exhibits). It will be about 3.5 acres. Construction is expected to start later this year.
    Bonnie- Team Tapir

11. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

12. Amnesiac

That's great news!

13. team tapir

Bonnie is going to attend a special event at the zoo tonight and is going to try to get some new info on Grizzly Ridge.

Team Tapir