Join our zoo community

Darling Downs Zoo Aldabra Giant Tortoises Imported!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by zooboy28, 13 Nov 2013.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Excellent news from Darling Downs Zoo - a herd of ten juvenile Aldabra Giant Tortoises has been imported, and will be out of quarantine just before Christmas!

Story and photo here: Little Giants | Zoo Aquarium Association

Well done Steve and the team at DDZ, this is awesome news!

2. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Excellent news! Where were they imported from?

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Excellent news indeed :)

4. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That's great news to hear.
    Does anyone know where they came from?

5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I cannot wait to see what the next species that is quarantined is!

Well done on adding these to the collection.

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I think it's great when Australian and NZ zoos import new individuals of species already in the countries. Too often they bring in a couple of animals of some new species which then have no long-term prospects. The zoos need to keep the populations of the species they've got healthy, as well as getting new species!

7. Jabiru96

Just like what Taronga did with dhole, Francois langur, etc..

8. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Confident there's at least one Zoochatter who does.

9. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Exciting news Steve, and a good number of individuals for your breeding program too.

10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

If there was not, I'd be seriously concerned about the collection! ;) :p

11. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Agreed. Could add One-horned rhino to the list. Strangely Taronga/Dubbo seems to be responsible for most of these decisions. Could do with getting more zoos on board when they decide to go for a species.

12. FriendOfTheZoo

FriendOfTheZoo Well-Known Member

Awww - they sound adorable! 3-5kg each!

I'd love to see pics of babies around this size. I've only had anything to do with the big buggers at Australia Zoo.

13. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Statement from the zoos Facebook regarding the Tortoises who are now on show:

Back in September the Darling Downs Zoo imported ten juvenile Aldabra Giant Tortoises from Mauritius. The little reptiles have now completed 3 months quarantine in the zoo's new quarantine station and are now on display.

These Tortoises are all between 4 and 5 years of age and weigh up to 6 kilograms. By the time that they are 25 years old they will measure more than a metre long and could weigh up to 250 kilograms! The species can live for over 100 years.

In it's eight year history the zoo has imported White Lions, Baboons and a Serval but this importation is the most significant in terms of captive
    conservation. Aldabra Giant Tortoises are the sole remaining Tortoise species out of 18 species that used to live in that part of the world. In
    the 19th century their population started coming under pressure from sailors hunting them for meat, and their eggs and babies fell victim to introduced pests such as rats, cats and goats. Prior to this importation there were 15 Aldabrans spread across 5 zoos in this country. The species had not been bred here since the 1970s. Research has shown that Aldabra Giant Tortoises will breed more readily if they are kept in quite big groups from an early age. It will be some years yet before these little Tortoises will be big enough to breed - keep watching this space!

14. Jabiru96

Are these tortoises related to each other (from the same clutch)?

15. FriendOfTheZoo

FriendOfTheZoo Well-Known Member

I'd like to know if there is a way that you can track whose babies are whose? Are there DNA tests available to be able to tell who's parents are whose? Or will this not matter so much?

16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Affirmative, there has even been extensive research on paternity / lineage identification in other giant tortoises (m.n. the Galapagos giants, both in zoos and in situ). So, the basics are there.

Steve, is it possible to provide a link to research papers on the very fact that giant tortoises will not breed unless they are raised in quite large groups from an early age ...?

Perhaps, further ... the mechanics are such ... that giant tortoises are herd animals anyway (meaning one would require at least 10+ of the animals to even have a breeding group? :confused:

17. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

thats great news. Well done Steve.

18. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I suspect that for a successful breeding 'group' of giant tortoises one really requires a number of individuals, including multiple males to bang shells together and get everybody in the mood. Unfortunately few zoos actually keep enough animals to do so, hopefully DD can prove it is the right way to keep them.

Zorro likes this.
  19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@tetrapod, thanks ... I know the current playing field is rather dim ..., but I still would like to see new scientific papers / research as eluded to on Facebook what the mechanics are in Aldabra giants and Galapagos giants for that matter.

Lately, I see an increased interest - applauded by yours truly - in building new exhibits for giant tortoises all over Europe and ... to me group / herd breeding is essential. So, hence ... I love to see those papers come flying ... :D

20. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe a new exhibit is planned of the Giant Tortoises at DDZ I also heard they kept 5 from the 2rd imported group!