Join our zoo community

Alicante to England, via Germany

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by littleRedPanda, 15 Jul 2017.

1. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Burgers Zoo, Apenheul, Diergaarde Blijdorp are arguably the 3 Dutch zoos you should not miss, though if you are keen on seeing tarsiers, visit Ouwehands as well... In that part of Germany Cologne and Duisburg (mainly for the river dolphin) are the main targets ;)

2. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Both midway too, so I'll have a look at them :)

3. littleRedPanda

Maybe Berlin is a bit too far for my little Fiesta (still poorly after it's trip to Alicante) so am thinking Duisburg and Gelsenkirchen are as far as i'll go. I've just found a couple of other threads making suggestions for the area now :)

4. littleRedPanda

I've decided to go Antwerp, Gelsenkirchen, Duisburg, Burgers' and Rotterdam; I did scribble a list of reasons for those choices, but have now misplaced it. Looks like i'll have some decent weather for it :)

5. littleRedPanda

A stressful couple of days, due to a couple oversights on my part which led me to visit Gelsenkirchen first; a very pleasant day and wonderful surroundings to spend it in. I've been to Duisburg today, with Burgers' and Rotterdam over the next two days and maybe Antwerp on the way back to the ferry. These two German zoos have really whetted my appetite for a Berlin visit and if I did that, I'd probably plan an excursion to Prague too (at least) .... but not in my old banger.

6. littleRedPanda

Hmmm, looks I need a permit to drive into Antwerp with my old banger, but the price of entry and parking for what would have been a short visit has put me off already .... together with a foggy forecast for the day (tuesday)
    At the other end of the spectrum, free(?) entry to Lille's little city zoo looks like a nice, relaxing option.

7. lintworm

Why not Pairi Daiza, which is hard on it's way to become one of Europe's most significant zoos.

littleRedPanda likes this.
  8. littleRedPanda

That looks like a good option :) The hotel i was in the last couple of nights had very poor internet which prevented me checking other options, routes, prices etc. I've only just realised where Ouwehands is (your previous suggestion) and could have popped in today; Burgers' was very tiring with so many families out enjoying the lovely afternoon weather.

9. Philipine eagle

Philipine eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

P+R at Melsele Parking and take the tram tot the Antwerp Railway Station/Zoo. It takes you about 25 minutes and it's cheap (parking is free, tram is around 5-6 euro return trip).

P+R Melsele is easy to find: E17, exit 16 Kruibeke, N419 direction Beveren. The tram station is at the P+R.

10. littleRedPanda

thanks for the info @Philipine eagle but I will be going to Pairi Daiza, as it's a little closer to Dunkirk, therefor giving me more time at the zoo (I hate having to leave early) and the weather forecasts for (what they are worth) have more sunny symbols further inland :)

11. littleRedPanda

Aaaaargh! Why didn't I find out about Pairi Daiza before I set off?! Oh well, I can't see everything in one week.

Seriously though, thanks for all the suggestions for places to visit this summer. I saw a few new creatures and managed to get a few photos too, although I obviously missed a few opportunities too.

12. littleRedPanda

A very small selection of quick edits added to Gelsenkirchen, Duisburg, Burgers', Rotterdam and Pairi Daiza galleries.

I've decided no to bore you with reviews, but can only say how lucky the people are in that area of the world are to have such a cracking selection of parks to visit and there appears to be several more too. The highlight was seeing mother Panda playing with the youngster at Pairi Daiza, but it was also the only disappointment of my trip as I had to leave so early for my ferry (on what developed into such a clear afternoon too).

13. littleRedPanda

Itchy feet, so am going back for more on Saturday through to Thursday, probably starting with a return to Prairi Daiza and finishing with Antwerp. Shortlisted so far are Wuppertal, Cologne, Ouwehands, Apenheul, Amersfoort and Artis.

14. lintworm

For Ouwehands, be aware that the tarsier and spotted cuscus house is not signed anywhere and only open from 12:00 onwards, I recently posted a picture in the Ouwehands gallery showing this house from the outside, it is next to the female panda outside enclosure... Instead of Amersfoort you could also opt for Safaripark Beekse Bergen, a high quality Safari park, or Gaiazoo, which was founded by the founder of Apenheul, but is a proper zoo with a similar philosophy, so very green with a nice species selection and good enclosures.

15. littleRedPanda

I'd be crossing at least one off anyway, with Amersfoot the likely candidate. I do wonder if the trip up to Amsterdam is worthwhile, as I fear it will be a disappointment to me like Barcelona was. As for Beekse Bergen, I'm not keen on shuffling about in my little Fiesta trying to get a decent photos :) Gaia Zoo looks like a good shout. Thanks.

16. lintworm

You actually do not need a car for Beekse Bergen, you can drive around with it if it would be up to the job, but a large part is seen from walking routes and the drive only parts are also served by regular busses.

I do not think Artis will be a disappointment like Barcelona, though there are some outdated enclosures left, it is more a zoo that London could have been would they have done a better job with their heritage imo.

17. littleRedPanda

Cool, now I am definitely interested. I'll have another look through the galleries and Flickr.

18. littleRedPanda

Oh no, I just noticed there are school holidays this week coming in South Netherlands!

19. littleRedPanda

I see on the Beekse Bergen website there is a €9 token needed to exit the park; does that mean there is no free parking, or does that apply to the drive through?

So far I am set to go Antwerp, Beekse Bergen and Artis. Looking at Apenheul, I am wondering how it compares to La Vallee des Singes, as I think I might sacrifice it in favour of Ouwehands. After that, it will be Cologne, then a decision between Gaia Zoo and Pairi Daiza (later ferry booked, so no rush this time).

20. lintworm

You could probably compare Apenheul and Ouwehands in one day, both are doable in 3-4 hours. I assume that Vallee des Singes is relatively similar, as it was founded by the same guy as Apenheul ;)