Join our zoo community

‘All-native’ Zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Junklekitteb, 31 Jan 2022.

1. Junklekitteb

Junklekitteb Well-Known Member

I could not find any other thread like this, so decided to create it.
    This thread is for discussing zoos which house only species native to the region they are located in. This includes domestics and exotic species used as representatives for local species which cannot be kept. Feel free to talk in this thread about such ‘all-native’ zoos you know about or have visited, or what you feel about similar zoos which also have a few exotics.
    I have personally never visited such a collection, for although most South Indian zoos house mainly local species, they tend to have lots of parrots, finches, pheasants, iguanas and the similar unceremoniously tossed in, which I always felt they could do without, or at least re-theme those areas to give more context.

Last edited: 31 Jan 2022
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Are you referring to entire institutions devoted to local animals (such as the Arizona-Sonoma Desert Museum or the Western North Carolina Nature Center in the USA) or exhibits of all local animals (such as the Chihuahua Desert exhibit at the El Paso Zoo in the USA)?

Kifaru Bwana and Zorro like this.
  3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

4. Junklekitteb

Junklekitteb Well-Known Member

Sorry, I meant the former. I have edited the original post to hopefully make this clearer.

Zooplantman likes this.
  5. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Inokashira park zoo in Tokyo, Japan house mostly native species. There are some odd bits here and there, but it's mostly all Japanese species (and with 4 subspecies of copper pheasant as well), and a freshwater house for native fish and herps. I would say it qualify in this thread and compensate well with the 3 other Tokyo collection. [since Ueno is the main zoo and Tama go for a naturalistic and more spacious approach]

Here is a species list from 2019 when I visited:
    Inokashira park zoo species list [Inokashira Park Zoo]

Haliaeetus, Kifaru Bwana, PAT and 4 others like this.
  6. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

Zooamerica has only north American animals.

StoppableSan, Junklekitteb and CMP like this.
  7. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

Cairns Aquarium and Reef HQ house only native species found in the local area

Junklekitteb and CMP like this.
  8. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

These are relatively common in the United States. A few I can think of are Squam Lakes Natural Science Center in NH, Maine Wildlife Park, and New York State Zoo.

Junklekitteb and CMP like this.
  9. Gondwana

Gondwana Well-Known Member

One thing I find interesting about native species zoos is the range of subtypes they come in, some of which I personally find much more compelling than others.

At their best places like the aforementioned Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum and Alpenzoo Innsbruck, along with Northwest Trek, Alice Springs Desert Park, and Healesville Sanctuary are as good as any zoo you'll visit. They use the local setting to best advantage and display a wide range of both obscure and charismatic species in such a way as to present visitors with a broad view of the ecology of their regions. One aspect of these places that I find important is that they present many species that would otherwise be very difficult to observe in the wild.

There are plenty of "nature center" type places that often have unreleasable animals in basic wood/wire enclosures. Nothing wrong with them, and they'll sometimes be good places to find rarer small carnivores or birds of prey, but they typically don't rise to the level of the above institutions.

Then there are the places that serve as museums to the local charismatic species -- National Eagle Center, Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center, etc. Usually a nice visitor center building with high quality interpretation, but only 1-2 species. I'm sure these are perfectly nice establishments but the only one I've ever bothered to visit is the International Wolf Center, which happened to serve double duty as the permit-issuing station for a nearby wilderness area.

At the bottom of the heap for me are the commercialized places. Drive through a field filled with 250 bear cubs. Watch as the alligator is wrestled into submission. Hold a koala. Feed the "rare" white lions. No thanks, not for me.

The biggest question I have when considering visiting any sort of native-focused zoo is whether it provides good value in comparison to wildlife viewing nearby. It's hard for me to imagine getting into a zoo-visiting mindset when Yellowstone, or Denali, or the Everglades, or the Great Barrier Reef is right there. I remember when the World Cup was in South Africa and American sportswriters were filing their on-site stories that seemed to include an obligatory visit to the Lion Park outside Johannesburg. It boggled my mind. You could drive two hours down a paved expressway instead and see a full range of African wildlife in the wild, your very own Planet Earth experience.

Batto, evilmonkey239, PAT and 5 others like this.
  10. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Cleland Wildlife Park in the Adelaide Hills is even better than Healesville for this. Healesville today is actually a fairly 'built-up' zoo, whereas Cleland really is settled in its landscape.

11. Gomphothere

Gomphothere Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Queens Zoo in New York City is limited to animals from the Americas.

12. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

“The Americas” is a big place, can you really a zoo in New York with Spectacled Bears an “all-native zoo”?

In fact, can you call a zoo with species even from throughout North America as an “all-native zoo”? ZooAmerica, for example, isn’t even close to something like Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum.

13. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

It was never specified how small the region had to be, though I guess with that logic all zoos would be all-native as they have only species from earth.

14. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Trailside Zoo and Museum in Bear Mountain State Park, New York. Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center in Portage, Alaska.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

Big Bear Alpine Zoo operates as a North American rescue center and has made it clear it exclusively works with North American Rescues. The exception is their two blind Snow Leopards who were taken in to allow space for breeding animals.
    There are many small coastal rescue centers and aquariums in America the only hold animals located off the coast. Some examples that come to mind are Alaska Sea Life Center, Oregon Coast Aquarium, Seaside Aquarium, Roundhouse Aquarium, Cabrillo Marine Aquarium, and Clearwater Marine Aquarium.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. RetiredToTheZoo

RetiredToTheZoo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I thru hiked the Appalachian Trail several years ago which goes thru high-density black bear country, and right thru the zoo. Trailside Zoo is the only place I saw a bear.

Kifaru Bwana and Pleistohorse like this.
  17. Randomname0183

Randomname0183 Well-Known Member

British wildlife Center houses species only found in the uk (I recall seeing barn owls, Eurasian otters, red fox, badgers and adders but it has been quite a few years since my last trip) and there is also El Hosquiolo in Cuenca, which houses a good assortment of Iberian fauna, namely Iberian wolves (looking through their website these seem to no longer be held), Cantabrian Bears, Boar, Iberian Eagle, and some rather interesting semi-captive yet tame fauna like mouflon, roe deer, fallow deer, red deer and spanish ibex. On my trips I’ve only ever seen the red deer free roaming (a particular doe had a liking towards one of the keepers and followed the tour group) and the boars in a pen.

Fresco3 and marmolady like this.
  18. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wildwood in Kent, England is an example of a zoo with a collection (almost) completely made up of species found in the UK. It is also situated in The Blean, the largest expanse of semi-natural ancient woodland in the southeast, and it is in an adjacent area of this woodland that they'll be releasing some bison this spring, in a joint conservation grazing/rewilding project with Kent Wildlife Trust.

pipaluk and Rajang-GOAT like this.
  19. Antimony96

Antimony96 Well-Known Member

It counts in the broadest sense but it includes animals from across the continent, rather than only animals from Pennsylvania (though there is a section for that including white-tailed deer, river otters, black bears, etc.). I think OP was looking for more specific regions

Bengal Tiger likes this.
  20. Fresco3

Fresco3 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

New Forest Wildlife Park houses mostly native European Species. Only species I can think aren’t native are the Smooth-Coated, Short-Clawed and Giant Otters + the burrowing owls, Red-wallabies and a single Sika Deer (although the latter two are invasive).

Technically the grey wolves are a NA subspecies too (although enclosure was designed for European subspecies until the ones they have now needed a home).

Beyond that it’s Red, Fallow and Roe Deer, wisent, polecats, pine martins, red foxes, Eurasian otters, Eurasian lynx, wild boar, mouflon, wildcats, European tree frogs, common toads, harvest mice, snowy, Eurasian eagle, little, ural, long-eared, great grey, barn, and tawny owls and grey partridge which are all either native to the UK or continental Europe.

pipaluk and Rajang-GOAT like this.