Join our zoo community

Alligator conditioning

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by neisha018, 19 Aug 2016.

1. neisha018

neisha018 Member

I was wondering if anyone had footage of the training process of American Alligators? I have found alot of footage on trained animals but nothing on the process. My work is looking at training our Alligators to come to a designated area where they are able to have interactions with the public in a way that isn't forcing them, stationing them so we are able to clean their enclosure and perform health checks without manual restraint. Our Alligators are only 4 months so we want to start soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

If it is for "work", obviously there must be some way of contacting an outfit in Aus' that works with crocodylians. Unless it is some, small outfit shop of sorts. Is your "work" a zoo or wildlife center-type place or? Seems odd to come to ZooChat of all places where the majority of people are animal nerds and most have no real-life animal experience. Just like your mertensi thread. Why not ask around Aus' where they're kept by the private hobbyists and zoos?

3. neisha018

neisha018 Member

The fact that this site is called ZooChat implies that any questions relating to zoos can be asked without scrutinisation. I work at a very well run zoo with high regard amongst our local community dispite not being a large facility. I have contacted zoo and/or private keepers within Australia about both my question. I have the intelligence to not use the advise of people with little to no experience in whatever area I am interested in and do not appreciate comments suggesting otherwise. If there are people who want to make comment perhaps its wise to not make assumptions on those who you do not know.
    In Australia very few zoo facilities do conditioning work with Alligator hence my question. In regards to my Mertens question zoos and private breeders have not kept records on growth and development, many of the zoos do not breed them and private breeders have no need to keep such records. Basically my questions were asked to see what other people are using and how successfully they have been so I may after careful examination and opinions from those with many years of experience apply these technique to my workings.

4. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

Okay... no need to get all, well, nevermind. Anywho. As for your mertensi queries for whatever you're developing. Some private keepers do keep such records. There are private hobbyists in the USA, Germany, UK, etc that have done very well with the species. As for guidelines, there really is no formula. What works for some may not work for others. That can be any amount of different factors. Placing of housing, diet, temperature choices, water access and quality, nesting material. Simplest works best, but even if you have a pair, it is not guaranteed. Animals always don't get along, bullying or preference of same sex, etc. Once the housing is set-up, dialed in, it is the animals that will tell you if you succeeded or not. Could be something simple as furnishings or hard like mass (substrate). Offering different temperature ranges lets the animals choose what will support them. Even what has worked for, oh, I don't know, 50 mertensi, 1, may flip you the bird and disagree. Always good to start with younger animals, 1.2, 1.3, 2.3, etc works best. Less issues arise amongst them. Until the males or females choose their own gender. Always good to have multiple enclosures and animals for moving/swapping around. Just my .02ยข