Join our zoo community

Altitude of zoo, can tha be limiting factor for successfull keeping and breeding?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 18 Feb 2016.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I said that I think Cheyenne Mountain is #1 and that might even still be true...either way the zoo is #1 or #2 and you are nitpicking the details. :) On the zoo's website it mentions the "renowned giraffe herd - the largest at any zoo" but again I think that they are #1 in that category but perhaps there is another zoo out there in the world that would argue otherwise.

This particular link lists 17 giraffes at the zoo, although I believe it is a bit outdated as the last birth listed is in the summer of 2013:

Giraffe Facts | CMZoo

2. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oh, I‘m not nitpicking; I‘m just gently poking fun at your tendency to declare zoo superlatives and rankings (usually with, given your activity radius, considerable focus on North American institutions). No hard feelings. ^^

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Safari World in Thailand has somewhere between 40 and 60 or so in their giraffe herd.

4. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

A whopping 40 to 60 giraffes? Wow. I have two words for Cheyenne Mountain Zoo: "American propaganda!" :)