Join our zoo community

Amazon tanks in zoos and aquariums

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by savetherhino, 10 Apr 2020.

1. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What zoos and aquariums have good tanks representing the amazon such as Milwaukee County Zoo's flooded forest exhibit?

Attached Files:

2. Gondwana

Gondwana Well-Known Member

The Amazon theme is easily among the most common aquarium themes in zoos. African Rift Lakes might be the only theme that can compete. Zoo Amazon tanks pretty much always have pacu, along with some combination of arowana/arapaima, catfish, cichlids, other large characins (Brycon, Leporinus, etc.), and stingray. Sticking to North America only, off the top of my head, Pittsburgh, Omaha, and Smithsonian all have exhibits that are nicer than Milwaukee's (better lighting and aquascaping). Many others are out there too: Toledo, Como Park, Henry Vilas, Blank Park, etc. Lots of public aquaria of course feature this theme as well, with Shedd being the standout.

3. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Agree. I found red tailed catfish and those small spotted stingrays quite common among Amazon theme, as well as arapaima. Piranha and electric eel in side tanks.
    I hasn't visit a lot of aquarium in zoo, but I think the Amazon tank in River Safari is great (that is only the Amazon flooded forest, not the ride)

4. boro745

boro745 Active Member

It isn't technically a zoo, but Cosmocaixa museum in Barcelona has a great Amazon exhibit with lots of different fish and bird species

Batto and Antoine like this.
  5. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Vienna has a very nice but more small-scale Amazon aquarium area with a walkthrough tunnel :)

6. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Toledo has one. Shedd Aquarium's Amazon Rising complex is incredible.

7. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

Miami zoo has a pretty large Amazon aquarium that includes Pacu, Arawana, and the red-tail catfish that was mentioned earlier. Los Angeles zoo has two one featuring piranhas and the other holding river bass.

8. wally war eagle

wally war eagle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Jacksonville Zoo has excellent outdoor tropical america aviary with large pool containing pacus, matamata turtles, neotropical sliders and other mixed fishes.