Join our zoo community

Amazon World Zoo Park Amazon world review

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Devi, 27 Aug 2015.

1. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've read some of the threads on here that seem quite negative in relation to the zoo so thought I'd add my pretty positive experience from today.

The zoo is based very much indoors, but I'd say at least half of the space is now outdoors, less than most zoos but really works.
    The greenhouses were not heated and humid but fairly cool and pleasant. The birds in all sections were numerous and so many that I've not seen before, a lot of natural interactions between them and I was particularly taken with a turaco that was very interested in people and seemed to me that it might be tame in some way?
    Planting was also amazing, some unusual plants there that had clearly had a lot of time spent on them.
    Other than birds, reptiles and fish, there were sloths and monkeys but I think most if not all had outside access.
    There was a small invert house which had signs on the outside, but no actual animals in the enclosures, there were feathers, eggs, enrichment cubes, all educational I suppose, but I would have preferred inverts.
    The new thing for this year was a nocturnal house and it was huge. The first part is four very large enclosures for I think different armadillo species, I don't know enough to be sure though. I have never seen enclosures so big for armadillo, and they were open topped so you got a good view of them walking about, most were asleep in lighted dens however.
    There were further pretty big enclosures for paca, loris, tamandua, sloth, and possibly others that I couldn't see, it was remarkably dark in there, which I suppose is best for the animals, but I did struggle to see most of the animals and had to squint for some time to work out what I was looking at.
    Outside, ocelot looked fairly nice, with plenty of climbing opportunities, flamingos, various monkeys, meerkats, all very standard type enclosures. The penguin enclosure I think is new? They had an old one there anyway that looked naff, the new one is much nicer, at least four times the size with a beach and planted area. The wallaby enclosure was a bit bare but the feeding part was quite nice.
    The highlight for me was the lemur walk through, where the group of ring tailed lemurs were very comfortable using people as climbing frames, including a group of three deciding to groom a very confused looking man for some time and refusing to get off, id be a bit concerned about the kids getting bitten or whatever, especially smaller grabby ones, but as an adult, it was a lovely experience to be climbed on!
    The final indoor part had a tank for matamata which was bare and tiny, really let the place down, what a shame that was the final impression!!

As an overall impression though, really brill place, shocked to read the bad reviews from only a few years ago, they've clearly got a horticulturist working there now as all enclosures are heavily planted and I don't think I've seen plants done quite so well in a zoo. Really impressed and will be using my return visit!

2. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review, did you get any pictures? We went last year and the improvements were good, the penguin pool was being built and the wallaby enclosure had just been opened.

3. Devi

It was actually your recommendation that made me go, very much appreciated! The only pictures I got have my family in rather than the standard zoo pics! I'm hoping to go again maybe Saturday if you have any particular things you'd like to see?
    Otherwise I'll just grab a few general pics.

4. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it! Just general shots of enclosures or anything unusual really.
    Are you planning on any other zoos to visit while your on the island?

5. Devi

Isle of Wight zoo I think. Already been to fort Victoria which was tiny but lovely, I enjoyed some newborn cuttlefish that were the size of small peas, and a mermaids purse just about to hatch, fully transparent so you could see the shark breathing and moving.
    As a marine geek I also liked the lack of fake coral in the reef tanks, I'd much rather see real stuff than plastic anyday!!

6. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

To be fair those reviews, from a few years ago, were probably about right. The place has really pulled it's socks up in the last five or so years, prior to that it had a great variety of obscure species coupled with a majority of poor exhibits (the otter enclosure was truly appalling, by far the worst I've ever seen).

I visited last year to see significant changes had taken place and were still in progress, compared to earlier visits, and why it still had a way to go, it was good to see it moving in the right direction. It appears the journey continues and I look forward to re-visiting (especially keen to see the new armadillo enclosures).

7. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The real stuff is live coral, ideally both soft coral and stony coral. Is this what you mean? In the old days, genuine coral skeletons were used in marine aquaria. That was not ecologically sound and the dead corals bore less resemblance to live coral than good replicas do today. I would expect to see fishes that eat corals (eg butterflyfishes and parrotfishes) kept with replica corals today.

Alan

8. Devi

They are honestly huge. There would be no complaints if they were goat enclosures at this size. One of the armadillos was having a lovely time climbing about, very impressive.

9. Devi

Yes, real live coral. Almost all soft coral, a bit of sps and no lps I don't think. My own tank is soft coral only though so I was quite happy to see it. I wouldn't be too impressed with skeletons!
    Butterflies can be ok with fast growing softies, as they only really nibble them, but the aquarium had reef safe fish as far as I could see. Clowns, tangs, standard stuff.

10. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Good, thank you :)

Alan

11. Devi

Pics up in the gallery. I've tried to get some of enclosures too.