Join our zoo community

Amazonia Amazonia news

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 7 Feb 2017.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A kinkajou has been born and is currently being hand reared.

And i believe it has now been renamed Discover Amazonia.

2. tennisfan

tennisfan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Amazonia (along with the rest of M n D's) has entered administration:

"We can confirm that Michelle Elliot and Stuart Robb of Leonard Curtis have today been appointed administrators of M&D Leisure Ltd.

It has been a challenging few years and we have worked really hard to try to diversify and keep the business afloat. Like many leisure businesses, the plans we had for the 2020 season have had to be cancelled due to COVID-19.

We explored all options to try and safeguard the business and jobs of our colleagues, many of whom are longstanding, however it is with a heavy heart that we are having to make 165 employees redundant.

All of our animals are safe and well, and continuing to get the care they need."

Discover Amazonia

4. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The first casualty announced, bad news, I hope not many more follow

5. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I'm no expert but isn't it a bit weird if they're making that many people redundant at the same time as going into administration? I would've thought the times for that would be either before now, to try to avoid administration, or after the administrators have tried to find a buyer and failed? Administration is specifically intended to keep the business going while a rescue is sought (although it doesn't guarantee a rescue will happen, of course).

Is this to do with a conflict between administration and workers being on furlough, I wonder? Or is this a Scottish law vs English law thing?

6. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Kifaru Bwana, FBBird, drill and 2 others like this.
  7. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know the situation is different, but hopefully the same may be said for the lease for living Coasts. It would be such a shame to see the site go to waste and ruin... Or even get turned into flats :eek:

Fallax and FBBird like this.
  8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member