Join our zoo community

Woburn Safari Park American Black Bear cubs born

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 6 Apr 2016.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Very satisfying news indeed - fingers crossed they survive, and that this perhaps heralds more collections taking a shot at this species.

Here's hoping that Sun Bears are next in the UK ;)

3. persimon

persimon Well-Known Member

not recommended by bear TAG, take up space of endangered bear species. Cute but not so great.

4. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

First Kiwis at Paignton, and now this! Excellent news! Yes, hopefully Sun Bears next (or Polar, Brown, Spectacled (or even Giant Pandas)).

5. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Woburn.....

I thought these were supposed to be a non-breeding group?

6. TeaLovingDave

Considering these individuals are in a drive-through safari area, I'm not at all sure that the Bear TAG would *want* Woburn to use that space for a more endangered bear species! Moreover, considering the distinct shift away from keeping bears which UK collections have undergone in the last few decades - and which is only now starting to reverse - I would argue that *any* breeding success with a bear taxon is great no matter the species in question.

If you want to talk about bear species which waste both space and money, the Giant Panda is a much better discussion point :p

7. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

These were my thoughts too when I read persimon's post. You beat me to it!

8. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I don't remember that being stated about the new group - they imported a number of new, younger animals not too long ago, which seemed to signal a new start.

9. persimon

I see no reason why the TAG would be against an enclosure with Asiatic black bears or sloth bears. And the discussion about panda bear is a completely different one.

10. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Mixed with Timber Wolves though - Has anyone (successful or not) tried either of those species in a drive through enclosure before?

11. TeaLovingDave

You don't think the TAG would be wary of allowing a high-priority species which they wish to breed to come into close and regular contact with automobiles belonging to the public, along with a second large carnivore (Timber Wolf)?

I beg to differ; if your objection to American Black Bear being held and bred by a collection is that such a holding takes up space and resouces which can be better used for more deserving species, I would argue that *vastly* more money and space has been expended by European collections keeping Giant Panda in the last decade or so than has been expended on the ABB. As such the discussion *is* a relevant one.

I do, however, note that you seem to have no issue with my point that given the specific situation regarding bear husbandry in the UK this news is still a positive development :)

12. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

13. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Absolutely, Sun Bears and Polars at Highland will be next, fingers crossed !!

14. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Well said.
    The new cubs will be a massive public draw I am sure, as bear cubs always were in the 70s and 80s, and always will be, even today people love bear cubs.

15. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Réserve Africaine de Sigean keeps around a dozen Asian black bears in a drive through.

16. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not in a drive through, but Out Of Africa wildlife park in my state of Arizona tried mixing wolves and black bears and pumas. The wolves had to be removed, I believe due to stress, but the two black bears and two pumas remained together for their lives.

17. TeaLovingDave

I suspect that Nisha meant either of the species proposed by persimon - ie Asian Black Bear or Sloth Bear. Guessing the ones at OutOfAfrica are American?

18. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

...........Yes

19. persimon

I see it as positive because it makes you happy and I wish everybody happiness.
    And it is great enrichment for the bears.