Join our zoo community

American Masai Giraffe Population

Discussion in 'United States' started by Jaxton, 15 Jul 2018.

1. Jaxton

Jaxton Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hey guys! I've been recently working on a list of Masai Giraffe individuals in the US. I have almost completed it, and would love to share it when I do. But I have some questions that I can't seem to find answers on. So I would love if anybody who knew anything about the following questions could reply to this thread
    • Where are Mark and Leo (from the Los Angeles Zoo) today?
      Where are Jack, Hasani, Ghubari and Baridi (from the Houston Zoo) today?
    • Who are the male giraffes at the Brevard Zoo?
    • Any Information on the calves and females at Disney’s Wild Animal Kingdom?
    • Who is the female at the KC Zoo other than Mahali, Lizzie, and Dixie?
    • Where are Oliver and Silvester (from the Louisville Zoo) today?
    • Where are Enzi, Makali, Robert, Belart, Obi, and Rojo (from the San Diego Zoo) today?
    • Who are the individuals at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park?
    • Where is Mazi (from the Nashville Zoo) today?
    • Where is Grace (from the Cleveland Zoo) today?
    • Who are the parents of Baridi(Louisville Zoo)?
    • Who are the parents and birth-dates of Milo, Lincoln, and Kamau(Turtle Back Zoo)?
    • Who are the parents of Fred(San Diego Zoo)?
    • Where was Phillip(from the Los Angeles Zoo) born?

2. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe Toronto zoo has the species

3. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Brevard Zoo - found this article from June 2017. "Brevard Zoo is home to eight giraffe—Rafiki, Doc, Johari, Milenna, Kumi, Twelve, Greg and an unnamed male calf." Twelve has since left, according to another blog post, but there's no other mentions of transfers or deaths (or arrivals).
    What You Need to Know About Giraffe | Brevard Zoo Blog

Jaxton likes this.
  4. TinoPup

I'm not finding much for anything else :( You'd think zoos would manage to use different names, instead of having multiple named Enzi, Baridi, Hasani... every time I think I've found an answer, it ends up being a different giraffe than the one you're looking for.

Jaxton likes this.
  5. Jaxton

I’ve had the same problem!

6. Dyl0526

Dyl0526 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Rodger williams park zoo , franklin park zoo has them

7. Jaxton

Hey! Does anybody know if Safari Enterprises holds giraffes or send them out? I've found a few giraffes whose last locations were there. So do they hold them or send them away?

8. Jaxton

And with the help of more recent information, I have answered most of these questions.
    • Mark died at the zoo in 2017, Leo is located at Safari Enterprises.
    • Jack, Hasani, and Ghubari are listed as Private Location, Baridi is at Safari Enterprises.
    • Rafiki, Doc, Greg, and Sprinkle ( @TinoPup )
    • Females are Stephanie, Lily, Kenya, and Willow, Calves are Mara, Seymor, Max, and Wyatt.
    • Makali(born at the San Diego Zoo)
    • Micanopy Zoological Preserve.
    • Safari Enterprises, KC Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Safari Enterprises, Safari Enterprises, and I'm no sure about Rojo.
    • Robert, Gowan, Shrehe, Gasira, Zindzhi, Mara, and Tazama. (There may be another female)
    • I am still unsure.
    • She died at the Cleveland Zoo in 2015 I believe.
    • Hodari and Genny.
    • Milo - 04/13/15, Hamisi and Stephanie; Lincoln - 03/12/15, Hamisi and Willow; Kamau - 07/26/14, Hodari and Gasira;
    • Hamisi and Kenya.
    • The Wilds.
    What I am still unsure of is:
    • Where Rojo(San Diego Zoo) is?
    • Where Mazi(Nashville Zoo) is?
    • Safari Enterprises in general.

9. TinoPup

Glad you've found some answers! Which Safari Enterprises? I tried doing some searching but there seems to be a dozen or so places with that name.

Jaxton likes this.
  10. Okapi Lover

Okapi Lover Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I suspect that this is the Safari Enterprises run by Larry Johnson (I recommend googling the two together for more info). The organization appears to be referenced on this zoochat thread: Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens - Latest Animal Activities

From what little I've been able to find on the internet, they are an animal dealer and transporter who do have some holdings themselves but are more frequently used by zoos to transport or dispose of unwanted animals, which are frequently sold to buyers such as hunting lodges in Texas with whom the zoos do not want to directly deal with. Here is a 2010 article on him from a period when there were two mishaps with giraffes he was transporting: New Twist In Mystery Surrounding Death Of Giraffe At Tulsa Zoo

What is unclear to me, however, is how in recent years giraffes from AZA institutions could have gone to them (they could have facilitated transportation between AZA facilities but I suspect that would be noted differently) given that the giraffe SSP programs are green SSPs which means both that only AZA institutions are permitted to participate and that the SSP recommendations are binding on the zoos.

TinoPup and Jaxton like this.
  11. TinoPup

A giraffe keeper was answering questions at Fort Worth Zoo on tuesday, so I tried asking about Safari Enterprises. She got rather tense, but I'm not sure if it was because it was a weird question or because of the subject itself. She said that she'd never heard of them, that their most recent calves went to Dallas and she thinks a few others went to Columbus but she doesn't know where they all go.