Join our zoo community

America's Top 100 Zoos & Aquariums

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by snowleopard, 6 Nov 2019.

1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

How much extra? I was poised to make a purchase through them as well but you've given me pause.

2. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The IZES website is up again = SOCIETY BOOKS
    For reasons we've never been able to uncover, a minority of people find they can't use the page to order items. If you discover that's the case, don't pay over the odds: email Tim Brown at
    [email protected] and let him know the situation. We can arrange to send you the book + receive payment.

snowleopard and ThylacineAlive like this.
  3. CGSwans

Does this go for people from outside the UK as well?

4. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes.

5. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Only $10 more but I was already charged roughly $5-6 originally for shipping which is why I'm confused.

I emailed them back saying I was not willing to pay extra for shipping when the purchase was already agreed upon and finalized, especially when I had already been charged for shipping and would need to pay PayPal's somewhat high international transaction fees (something I already needed to pay for the initial purchase). I never got a response but instead they issues a return to me for $43 without saying a word... Incredibly unprofessional if you ask me.

~Thylo

TinoPup, Chlidonias and CGSwans like this.
  6. CGSwans

Indeed. IZES it is. Thanks @MikeG and @Tim Brown, I’ll sort it out this weekend.

snowleopard likes this.
  7. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Receive my copy today, look forward to having a read over the weekend :)

snowleopard likes this.
  8. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Shipping is $15 through IZES, but that website should have been upfront with the cost and not charged you after! If you have trouble ordering through Tim as well, let me know and I'll send you my extra copy at cost and order another for myself through IZES.

9. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I just had a very similar experience. I ordered 4 items from the Schuling Publishing House and I paid via PayPal and it was done and dusted. Then several days went by and the owner of the website (Klaus Schueling) emailed me to say that his website isn't set up for international shipping and he then quoted me a lot more money for my requested books. I declined the offer and cancelled my order with a full refund. At least Schueling sent me two nice emails and he was quite apologetic in his response. In Europe the number of zoo enthusiasts who collect history books, guidebooks, maps, leaflets, etc. on zoos is massive in comparison to the rest of the world. It makes sense that several sites in Europe only offer zoo memorabilia at huge prices for folks like me in North America and that is due to shipping costs.

The best place to buy America's Top 100 Zoos & Aquariums will always be the IZES (Independent Zoo Enthusiasts Society) website:

America's Top 100 Zoos & Aquariums

10. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

We have just had notification of a price increase on packages to the United States on the 1st July. The postage on the book will have to increase from then(tho we still dont know to what)...add to that the fact that UK Amazon are very near to offering the book(they got the wording wrong) and then it will have to increase to the recommended retail price of £29.99 on our website(www.izes.co.uk) to price match them. So,if you were thinking of buying the book,then get it soon...or pay more.On a more positive note i can reveal that we are past break-even
    point,meaning that we are on our way to monies that can go either to the Amphibian Ark or The Saola Working Group Project. Help us to help them!...and thanks to everyone who got us so far by buying the book.

11. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Congratulations Tim - please send me a copy, I haven't manged to get around to ordering yet...

snowleopard likes this.
  12. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Finally ordered my copy :)

snowleopard and amur leopard like this.
  13. TheZooMan10

TheZooMan10 Well-Known Member

Just got the book and it is amazing!!!!

14. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Received the book in the post this morning - it is astounding! The essays are of a perfect length, there is a great balance of photos and text as well as information and more subjective writing. Love it, and I can tell it will come in very handy when planning future trips to the US. ;)

Arizona Docent and snowleopard like this.
  15. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And still the U.S. Mail saga goes on...not having been notified of what exactly the increase on postal rates for the Top100 book would be,we put it up from £15 to £20, only to find out that it has gone up to £26!! This is because the large letter format cannot now include commercial goods,so Zoo Grapevine & International Zoo News will be unaffected as magazines are exempt. For the moment we will leave it as it is, but in a few weeks we will have to change it. Be aware that all books will similarly suffer and i presume the price to the UK from the States will have the same increase(unless it is a Trump ruse to give American booksellers an export advantage). Dont forget too,if you havent bought it yet, that we are now in the position of all funds going to conservation bodies(having surpassed break-even point).

16. ThylacineAlive

Received my copy finally the other night :) A fair few more familiar photos than I expected.

~Thylo

TinoPup and snowleopard like this.
  17. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for ordering a copy and you have a number of photos in the book. Now you just need to do what several others plan to accomplish...visit all 100 zoos/aquariums in your lifetime! :p

Pleistohorse and ThylacineAlive like this.
  18. ThylacineAlive

Maybe one day! Tbf I'm on 39 of them already, and if it wasn't for COVID I might have cracked the halfway point this year...

~Thylo

Pleistohorse likes this.
  19. CGSwans

I started the year on 7, finished it on 11 and if it wasn't for COVID I would have gotten close to halfway too. :(

Arizona Docent likes this.
  20. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

At least you finished with the best! ;)

CGSwans likes this.