Join our zoo community

DierenPark Amersfoort Amersfoort News 2022

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by JurassicMax, 13 Jan 2022.

1. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Recently a new species arrived at the zoo, namely a pair of Desert horned lizards (Phrynosoma platyrhinos)! They were confiscated and later send to Dierenpark Amersfoort, this makes Dierenpark Amersfoort the only zoo in The Netherlands with this species.

Source:
    Instagram of Dierenpark Amersfoort (21/04/2022) Login • Instagram

2. Yunha

Yunha Well-Known Member

I was in the zoo yesterday - the wallabys have moved to another zoo as well. There was a sign up in their former enclosure.

Considering all the species that have moved away from that area (the golden lion tamarins and the ruffed lemurs), there is now quite some empty space in that area of the zoo. So far it has been cultivated with plants. I wonder if there are other plans, but at the same time, there doesn't really seem room for another enclosure.

JurassicMax and MennoPebesma like this.
  3. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It’s close to the chimp cage, so perhaps they are gearing up to expanding their enclosure… not that they have announced anything.

One of the last real eyesores of the zoo.

StoppableSan likes this.
  4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Twin Pygmy slow loris born at Amersfoort :).

JoJo22, Yunha and JurassicMax like this.
  5. JurassicMax

Recently a Grevy's zebra (Equus grevyi) was born.

Source:
    Instagram of Dierenpark Amersfoort (22/06/2022) Login • Instagram

Yunha likes this.
  6. MennoPebesma

MennoPebesma Well-Known Member

Dierenpark Amersfoort has applied for a permit to build a new chimpanzee enclosure. Further details about where it should come and how it will look like are not yet known.

7. MennoPebesma

The matriarch of the elephant herd, Khine War War, has died at the age of 39. She had been suffering from arthritis in her joints for a long time. Medical treatments, including painkillers, did not help enough to allow her to live a full life. It was therefore decided to put her to sleep.

Source

JurassicMax likes this.
  8. JurassicMax

Gil and Haliaeetus like this.
  9. Yunha

Yunha Well-Known Member

When I visited the zoo today, I was suprised to see a snowy owl chick! It seems to be just the one.

Also a new arrival at the ring tailed lemurs. :)

10. Yunha

Yunha Well-Known Member

Another new arrival: an African Penguin hatched. :)

Source / picture credit: Dierenpark Amersfoort Facebook.

[​IMG]

Haliaeetus and JurassicMax like this.
  11. MennoPebesma

Last week, I visited Dierenpark Amersfoort for the first time.

I could not find a number of animal species, which according to ZTL are kept in Amersfoort. These are the golden spiny mice, Oriental fire-bellied newt, Cabot's tragopan and the Himalayan monal. Via the Dutch/Belgian zoo forum Laafsekikkers, I now know where I can find the golden spiny mice next time ;). The other three species remain a mystery. Both bird species are said to have been at different locations in the zoo, but I don't know where they are now.

Some things that I noticed during my visit:

- It seems that work is being done in the former coypu enclosure. The area in front of the enclosure was cordoned off and there were new plants (still in pots) in the enclosure:

- The flamingo enclosure has now become an aviary:

- According to ZTL and @Mr Gharial 'zoo guides', there should be Yellow-headed day geckos in the hundred-thousand animal house with the golden mantella. However, there was no sign for them and after searching for a while I also couldn't find any.

JurassicMax likes this.
  12. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly from my last visit (Which, admittedly, was a little while back), the Cabot's tragopans should be in the pheasantry in the beginning of the park. The Himalayan monals were kept in the former lynx enclosure, but that's been empty for a while. So it might be that ZTL is simply outdated. I don't recall seeing fire-bellied newts on my last visit, so I'm just as curious as you are!

For anyone not getting help from Laafsekikkers: The golden spiny mice can be found in one of the hidden terrariums in the ancient city, last time I checked in a building on a viewing deck to the former barbary sheep enclosure.

Sadly, they are not signed in the terrarium, last time I noticed the geckos but was very confused as to what they were. Seems you had the exact opposite problem. Glad you were able to use the guides though!

Also: nice update!

MennoPebesma likes this.
  13. MennoPebesma

In the pheasantry, I only searched for the birds that had signs there. It may well be that the tragopans are there, but I did not see any sign of them so I did not look for them.

Is the former lynx enclosure the one next to the red pandas? I did see some Indian peafowl walking around in there. But due to the large amount of vegetation in front of the enclosure, it was difficult to get a good look inside. And since there were no signs here either, I did not look any further.

A guide for the ancient city would have also been nice ;)

In other news, a golden-bellied capuchin (Sapajus xanthosternos) was born recently.

Source: Zeldzaam kapucijnaapje geboren

JurassicMax likes this.
  14. Mr Gharial

It's the aviary (if it's even still there) on the path to the elephant house. I'm actually not sure if there were lynxes in there, but there were small cats in there at some point!

I actually started it! But sadly Amersfoort mail system is useless even to a point of being rude. I essentially have the full guide finished except for the fish and turtles in the Dwarf croc enclosure, which Amersfoort refuses to help me with. I've been planning on visiting to take pictures and asking ZC's identification album to at least get some of them in.

15. MennoPebesma

There was no aviary there, so at least they are not there.

I did not see any turtle in the crocodile enclosure. According to ZTL, the only turtle species in Amersfoort is behind the scenes.

I think that Amersfoort itself does not even know all the species of fish. Malawi/Tanganyika cichlids are difficult to identify and also sometimes crossbreed. So it coukd be very difficult to identify the fish species. On ZTL there is already one species known: Duboisi cichlid (Tropheus duboisi)

16. Mr Gharial

Must've been a recent update then, last time I checked they still listed African mud turtles still in the enclosure.

I fully believe this, but at least having a recent picture I could identify a few and just upload the pictures as "Mixed malawi cichlids"

MennoPebesma likes this.
  17. JurassicMax

It's a male and was given the name Diego.

Source:
    Instagram of Dierenpark Amersfoort (10/08/2022)

Mr Gharial likes this.
  18. Mr Gharial

Finally visited Amersfoort again! Sadly Snavelrijk was still closed, but the Lemur island was finally open again!

Some news:
    A wolf separation enclosure was built inside the old cassowary encosure. The cassowary signage was still not removed, so that's rather confusing

20220818_152847.jpg

A honey bee enclosure was added to the 100.000 animal house, in the middle of the taxidermy room, with a tunnel leading outside

20220818_162153.jpg

The (former) Nutria enclosure has been filled in and now only features a few plants. I'm going to assume that nothing will be in here and it's will eventually be demolished when the Chimps get their upgraded enclosure

20220818_125659.jpg

A lot of "new" murals were added around the Andean bear enclosure

20220818_125004.jpg

Some minor construction was going on in the elephant enclosure, but I doubt it was anything major

20220818_130626.jpg

The white storks are in the vulture/marabou enclosure bc of bird flu (probably have been for a long while, but I haven't seen it mentioned)

Was not able to locate any of the species Menno wasn't able to locate last time, so I think it's safe to say they are out of the collection

Last edited: 18 Aug 2022
  19. Yunha

Yunha Well-Known Member

Great Amersfoort update. :) Did you notice the special visitor(s?) at the elephant enclosure?

[​IMG]

JurassicMax and MennoPebesma like this.
  20. Yunha

Yunha Well-Known Member

Elephantelephant and JurassicMax like this.