Join our zoo community

Amphibians in the pet-trade

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by vogelcommando, 29 Oct 2019.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I may be provocative, but I would regard pet keeping as an opportunity to grow an amateur movement contributing to study and conservation of amphibians, not as a threat.

Amphibians are chronically understudied, underfunded and ignored. Enthusiasts could contribute here, a bit in parallel to a community of bird-watchers contributing to protection of birds.

Trapping for pet trade may contribute to decline of some species, but amphibians can be bred in collections in large numbers (e.g. Zagroz newt) and the community can be policed (like e.g. community of bird watchers managed to police itself not to photograph birds at nests). This is not a quick or easy task. But actions like a country banning keeping any reptile pet because of danger to few species is against the spirit of a sane public policy.

FBBird likes this.
  3. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't think taking amphibians from the wild is bad as long as the ones taken are used to produce offspring that can be sold to other people interested in the species. Then they can be kept around without having to take more from the wild. I've only got an Axolotl, White's Tree-Frog, and Eastern American Toad, but I would like to get more species and produce more CBB babies.