Join our zoo community

Amphibians in zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Zoovolunteer, 24 Nov 2016.

1. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Although a few species of amphibians, especially some of the poison dart frogs and tree frogs, are commonly seen in zoos that is only a small part of the total diversity of this group. What other species have you seen in captivity?

2. Zygodactyl

Zygodactyl Well-Known Member

Goliath toads and midwife toads seem to be really popular, as do axolotls.

3. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's actually a fair point- outside of those two groups, I see relatively few other exotic amphibians in American zoos. Native species are a bit more common- especially American bullfrogs and hellbenders. Some of the SSP species are more common, though only a few species are managed. These are:
    Puerto Rican crested toad
    Panamanian golden frog
    Wyoming toad
    Houston toad
    Dusky gopher frog

Here's the Amphibian TAG's most recent Regional Collection Plan that I could find:
    http://saveamphibians.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/ATAGRCPFinal2014_DBarber.pdf
    The recommended species for exhibit start on page 36.

Some zoos also specialize in the conservation of whichever species. For example, the National Zoo has a large on-exhibit lab for Appalachian salamanders. The Toledo Zoo has a room containing a large portion of the world's Kihansi spray toad population. The collection really varies significantly by institution.

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2 species really common in Europe are the Oriental fire-bellied toad and the African clawed frog.

5. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

On the American side again: of the amphibian species Jay listed, my experience is that Panamanian golden frogs are quite common; the rest I'm not sure about, although my guess is that Wyoming and Houston toads are only kept in a small number of places.

Some exotic species that I have seen frequently listed are:
    - Surinam Toad
    - Tomato Frog
    - Vietnamese Mossy Frog
    - Cane Toad
    - Kaiser's newt (endangered)
    - Anderson's newt
    - Aquatic caecilian
    - Mandarin newt
    - Both species that vogelcommando named
    - Axolotls as Zygodactyl mentioned
    And then also tree frogs and PDFs.

6. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The best collection of amphibs I ever saw used to be held at Artist zoo in the Netherlands, it inspired me to have my own collection. sadly it was lost years ago in a new aquarium set up.
    Of course apart from Dart frogs that are diurnal most amphibs are nocturnal and difficult to display to the visitor.
    Although anurans remain my no 1 animal group.

7. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

How different are the perception from a USA point of view and european one! Hellbender and panamanian golden frog are extremely rare at this side of the Atlantic.