Join our zoo community

Amsterdam Zoo Video in 4K (UltraHD)

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by balou_panda, 7 Jan 2016.

1. balou_panda

balou_panda New Member

I like to share this video I made in Artis (Amsterdam Zoo).

https://youtu.be/bBsQfO73QQ0

It is shot in 4k (UltraHD) on the Panasonic GH4. Personally I really like the shots in the aquarium. :)
    Please let me know what you think about it.

Last edited: 7 Jan 2016
  2. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

It looks fantastic!

3. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Great looking video! I shot footage with my GoPro last year for my Zoo Tour, it was good but very limited for low light and long distance shots. I'm hoping to buy a DSLR camera this year, looking at your footage I might go for the GH4 :)

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I also have to say well done, it realy looks great !

5. balou_panda

balou_panda New Member

Thank you! I think it's a great camera, but I did quit a bit of color grading to make it look cinematic. So you do have to consider whether or not you want to spend time on that. But overall the image quality and video options are really great. :)

6. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nice shots, it was great seeing some of Artis animals again, I used to go a lot in my younger days, but it's been over 15 years since I was last there.

7. balou_panda

balou_panda New Member

Thank you, great you like it. Artis hasn't changed that much in the last 15 years. The only major differences I think are the butterfly garden and a bigger area for giraffes and zebras. Now they're working on an expansion for the elephants.

8. ro6ca66

ro6ca66 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Some nice shots there, @balou_panda! I particularly liked the anemone shot at the very beginning.

I picked up a GH4 body about a month ago, with the intention of using it alongside my existing Canon gear. Although there's no way it will replace my Canon body for most stills work, it does have some features which may prove useful for acquiring stills in certain situations, particularly fast action in good light: eg. 4K Photo mode, 12fps RAW, or -- using the electronic shutter -- 40fps jpg.

However, the main reason I selected it was to be able to shoot 4K video with my Canon lenses (I'm using a Metabones Speed Booster), and to shoot slow-motion HD video as you've demonstrated here. I'm editing the 4K footage onto a 1080p timeline, and outputting to HD only, which gives great flexibility to crop in on a 4K shot yet still retain excellent quality. The Speed Booster allows use of image stabilisation on my Canon lenses (useful when handholding, although I try to use a tripod wherever possible), and allows setting of aperture in-camera on these lenses too. It also allows autofocus on the Canon lenses -- although I tend to use manual focus for video work.

I'm a fan of the film or cinematic look, so it's interesting so see it applied to shots in a zoo setting as you've done here. I'm currently experimenting with different menu settings (of which there are many on the GH4!), and getting to grips with profiles, colour correction, grading, luts and all that good stuff!

Perhaps it should be pointed out that, for those happy with more of a 'video' look to their shots, the GH4 is quite capable of providing natural-looking 4K or HD footage straight out of the camera.

It is a great camera, and I'm looking forward to shooting with it during the coming months. Also looking forward to seeing more of your work too! :)

9. balou_panda

balou_panda New Member

It's nice to hear from a fellow GH4 shooter. Too bad I own Nikon instead of Canon lenses, it would be nice to have some image stabilization. ;) I'm also still experimenting with different settings. Most of the time I like cinelike d for color grading, but I'm going to do some more tests with the natural setting. You're right about the 'video look', it delivers natural looking images straight out of the camera.

Do you have a Youtube channel? It would be nice to see some of your work too. :)