Join our zoo community

Yorkshire Wildlife Park Amur Leopards arrive at Yorkshire Widlife Park

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by CJElwood, 14 May 2011.

1. CJElwood

CJElwood New Member

2. CJElwood

CJElwood New Member

Good Move or Bad Move?

Do you think this is a good move on YWP's part, or do you think they could be over-stretching themselves by acquiring another big cat species, bringing their total up to 3.

3. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

It will be a good move for the collection once they are on-show,the only thing I have to wonder about is why annouce the arrival of animal that people are not going to be able to see,until the enclosure is built and could well end up with people complaining because they didn`t see the Leopards!

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I can't see any harm in that. They seem to be able to create good enclosures very rapidly- the more species they have the more the park will be attractive to visitors. To establish a good reputation with visitors a zoo needs to have as large a range of species as quickly as it can properly accomodate them. It is very heartening to see a major new Zoo in the UK taking shape like this.

When Marwell in Hampshire opened they also had several big cat species(Tiger, Leopard, Jaguar) and a wide variety of ungulates, right from the very start.

6. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Amen to that - I'm loving watching it develop.

I don't think there's any cause to worry about 'too much, too fast' - there's some very canny and experienced people there.

7. Clouded Leopard

Clouded Leopard Well-Known Member

Yorkshire report record turnouts. On Easter Monday, 20,000 people visited Harewood House in Leeds, while the number of people visiting the Yorkshire Sculpture Park in Wakefield doubled in April compared with last year, and the Yorkshire Wildlife Park in Doncaster has recorded its busiest ever April.

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yup, nicely done up!

If I can make any comments as to species/exhibits:
    Would like to see some more mixed species and theming (f.i. a taiga theme with - hopefully an endangered - deer spp. (sika, red deer, reindeer), wolverine, brown bear, European wolves ... and I can think of others as in African savannah ... hoofstocky theme +++ and a native Yorkshire Dales theme) and some more unusual species and primates (in big capital letters).

Bring it on ... :cool:

9. lechweoryx

lechweoryx Well-Known Member

Don't think they would create a Yorkshire Dales theme as it's nowhere near. Living in Yorkshire all my life I can assure people that theres more to Yorkshire than just the Yorkshire Dales, although it is a beautiful part of Yorkshire.:)

If they create a native themed area then I would have thought it would be a Native wetlands area.

10. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

There's the wetlands area behind the tiger viewing bridge isn't there? That will continue to attract in native wildlife, much better than a themed area that brings in wildlife. :)

11. lechweoryx

lechweoryx Well-Known Member

Yes there is a Wetlands reserve.

12. tw2310

tw2310 Well-Known Member

If anything it seems to be going the other way at the moment. People seem to appreciate it's a relatively new park and are excited that things like the leopards are on the way. I guess it also advertises the ambitions of the place and encourages people to think about coming again.

The most common thing i overhear being asked of the keepers are questions along the lines of "are you getting elephants / monkeys / giraffes" etc etc. Closely followed by things like, "i can't believe how much it's changed since the last time i came here".

13. thezootoday

thezootoday Active Member

Red pandas have been added to the amur leopard proposal.

14. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

There's definitely some trees they'd look great in. Though not as great as orangs! :) not that I'm biased or anything.