Join our zoo community

An Ode to Britains Toy Animals

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by snowleopard, 27 Jun 2020.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

For those that have a collection of toy zoo animals, this is a wonderful read:

An Ode to Britains Toy Animals

I personally have 860 plastic zoo animals, mainly ranging from the 1970s to 1990s, and I've posted photos of my collection on this site.

2. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for posting this.

I'm sure it's been mentioned elsewhere on ZooChat that many of the Britains zoo animals were modelled on inhabitants of London Zoo.

For example, the adult hippotamus was a model of "Guy Fawkes" who was born at London Zoo on 5th November 1872 and died 1908: the adult Indian rhinoceros was modelled on "Jim" who lived at London Zoo from 1864 until 1904.

When I was a very young child these Britains animals were made of lead and then about 1960 the lead models were replaced by plastic ones.

3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I had both the lead and the plastic Jim, and both in hippopotamus, tiger (two different poses) and wild boar as well.

4. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Initially the same lead moulds were used for the blow-moulded plastic animals as this technology became available. As a result, the early plastic animals were generally much nicer quality than the later ones.
    It is interesting that for most of their history Britains Zoo animals were marketed as just that. In the later years running up to their discontinuation the word 'Zoo' was dropped, to be replaced with 'Wild Life' as the name of the range. This coincided with much anti-zoo media coverage, particularly by the BBC and the rise of such organisations as ZooCheck.
    There is much on-line as there is a well established collectors market - but this example provides some info on some of the lovely and really rare early models - Britains Zoo (Britains Zoological Series), painted hollowcast zoo animals by W. Britain

Last edited: 27 Jun 2020
    FBBird and Tim May like this.
  5. Tim May

I've still got both the lead and plastic versions of both the Indian rhino "Jim" and the hippo "Guy Fawkes".
    Indeed I remember that the early plastic models were of a very good quality and most were identical to the original lead models (apart, obviously, from being made of a different material).

The original plastic lion, though, was a different model to the metal one.

Subsequently other plastic models were introduced (e.g. okapi, black rhinoceros, platypus) that had never been made of metal but these were not of such good quality as the original ones.

6. Andrew Swales

Yes, the moulds wore out and were replaced, as with the lion - and the very last new introductions such as the golden eagle, moose, orang etc were pretty dreadful, and often confused with and assumed to be Chinese copies...

7. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

As a child I had many treasured Britains animals, both farm and zoo. Recently, I found a few that I still had left (including the black rhino) and wondered why I never saw them in shops anymore (just those ghastly Schleich figures). After doing some googling I discovered Britains discontinued their wonderful zoo animals in the early 90's. I have since been buying them on ebay for my daughter (well, for ME to play with with my daughter!) and have amassed pretty much the full set.

Its not been cheap!

But hey, in my opinion Britains are still unsurpassed as the greatest toy animals.

8. Andrew Swales

The best of the modern makes are better technically than most of the Britains in my opinion, but like Brtians the quality varies between species and between ranges. Some of the later Britains were dreadful. The most beautiful are the best of the masse (composite) animals made by companies such as Elastolin, Lineol and many others in the early 20th century. Some of the plastic Elastolin, Starlux and Reisler are equal if not better too...

9. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I had what I considered to be the 'full set' of Britains zoo animals - I'm sure it wasn't - but is most most of what was available in the 70's. After them coming to light in my parents' loft I do remember asking on zoo chat what they were worth. That didn't seem to be much and to be honest, the biggest value they can have is inspiring newer generations, so now my sister's grandchildren play with them and clearly get as much pleasure out of them as I used to.

They are well and truly played with, and still in remarkably decent nick, which says a lot about their rock solid build quality. The croc still has its bite.

My only regret is that they sat in my folks' loft while my own children grew through the age of playing with them. Nobody's fault, I didn't know they were still there!

10. Andrew Swales

I guess you mean plastic and quite late production if it is the crocodile with the jointed jaws?
    Presumably their low value is due to the physical number produced and their survivability. Rarity equals value. Platypus and genuine Black Panther (not over-painted Leopards) are worth a bit more for example, due to short production runs and/or losability!"
    Specific plastic Elastolin and Starlux (Rocky Mountain Goat, Thylacine etc) from the same era, can be worth many hundred of pounds/euros each.

11. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Indeed Andrew, they are all plastic. The earliest would have been possibly very late 60's, but most would have been collected in the early 70's. Durability - definitely. The elephant and indian rhino are hefty lumps of plastic, although the former has lost a tusk, which was a separate component.

Definitely didn't have a platypus, the back panther may be there.. suspect its the leopard though.

I remember the glass display cabinet with lines of models inside, little pile of gratis catalogues on top. Happy days. I also collected the farm animals, tractors and implements and the motorbikes. I must have been a great little customer!

As for the other brands, I had one or two, but generally hated them if they were in a different scale, and was very loyal to Britains. :)

12. Tim May

I used to collect the Britains models as a child; first in lead then in plastic.

I also used to have a number of models made by Timpo; these were inferior to the Britains models. Although these lacked the qualty of the early Britains plastic animals, I liked the fact that the Timpo range included both a black rhinoceros and a melanistic leopard long before Britains made either. (For many years the Britains series only featured Indian rhino.)

13. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've seen photos online of toy sets that actually have high-quality enclosures for the animals as well. I don't know if there are any modern brands that actually provide realistic enclosures.