Join our zoo community

Animal books that other ZooChatters should read

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by birdsandbats, 19 Mar 2019.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

1999. Assuming that is the one being referred to here?

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Interestingly, it appears to be the 1999 book :) I strongly recommend you snap it up, birdsandbats!

birdsandbats likes this.
  3. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I have these Errol Fuller books too and wholeheartedly agree that they are "must read" books.

I also recommend Errol Fuller's "The Lost Birds of Paradise".

However, for anybody seriously interested in dodos, I think that

The Dodo and the Solitaire: A Natural History (Jolyon C. Parish; 2013)

is a better book on the subject than Fuller's dodo book.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2019
    Crowthorne likes this.
  4. birdsandbats

Got it! :)

5. birdsandbats

For anyone else interested in The Great Auk, there are still several used copies available on Amazon for around ~$20 US.

6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

That's the only major work by Fuller I lack, as it happens :) will get it someday.

7. birdsandbats

I just read The Last Butterflies by Nick Haddad, highly recommend it!

Also, I can't believe no one has mentioned this one (I forgot about it earlier) but everyone should read A Sand County Almanac.

8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Havent seen these mentioned yet, but with regards to species conservation of endangered Brazilian species there are two books written for popular audiences which IMO stand well above the rest.

Faces in the forest - Karen B. Strier : About her field studies of the Muriqui (Northern subspecies) in the Atlantic rainforest, the behavioural ecology of this primate and challenges of conservation.

Spix's Macaw: The Race to Save the World's Rarest Bird - Tony Juniper : Engagingly written book on the natural history of the Spix macaw and the challenges facing its ex-situ / in-situ conservation.

9. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've nearly finished Memoirs Of A Coarse Zoo Keeper by George Jacobs. A really good read detailing the trials and tribulations, alongside some very dubious practices, about being a zoo keeper in the sixties and seventies. A massive eye opener to someone born in 1985.

10. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

The GREAT AUK signed book by ERROL FULLER + History & Photo 100% PROOF | eBay

There are 3 signed copies of The Great Auk available on eBay at the moment...

11. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

For bird lovers I can highly recommend the Poyser monograpf on The Sparrows by Dennis Summers -Smith. It is a fascinating survey of a widespread and successful, but often disregarded group of birds and has a lot of interesting observations. For anyone interested in island bigeography Lost Land of the Dodo by Anthony Cheke is an indispensable overview of the entire history of the extinctions on the Mauritius, Reunion and the other Indian Ocean islands

12. Onychorhynchus coronatus

In addition to the two excellent David Quammen books you mentioned I would reccomend "Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic" by the same author.

Although it isn't directly animal focused it is nevertheless a very chilling and relevant book. It connects zoonotic pandemics such as Ebola , Avian influenza , Mahrlberg virus , hanta virus , Sars, AIDS and HIV to their emergence and spillover into human populations as a result of ecological disequilibrium such as deforestation, habitat loss and bushmeat hunting .

Extremely relevant to conservation of biodiversity in the tropics and to human health literally everywhere on earth.

birdsandbats, TinoPup and KevinB like this.
  13. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That is definitely an excellent book and one that I would also definitely recommend.

I have read it a few times already and as you already explained it very much focuses on the (re-)emergence of (potentially) very devastating diseases as the result of human influence on nature. It is a chilling book but also very interesting.

14. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I couldn't agree more , I think we should all acquiant ourselves with the topic of zoonoses. "Spillover" is the kind of book that whenever I glance the spine protruding from my book shelf sends a shiver up my spine literally.

15. birdsandbats

The Search for Lost Frogs by Robin Moore was a very interesting on amphibian rediscoveries.

KevinB and TinoPup like this.
  16. wally war eagle

wally war eagle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Are any zoochat members seeking copy of Fowler & Cubas, editors. 2001. Biology, Medicine and Surgery of South American Wild Animals. Iowa State University Press. 536 pages, used-like new.

17. The Speeding Carnotaurus

The Speeding Carnotaurus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I find it surprising that The Sixth Extinction wasn't mentioned yet, though I imagine most on this forum have already read it.

18. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

If anyone is into the deep-sea, Claire Nouvian's The Deep, is worth a read, and a look. Lots of nice deep-sea photographs in there.

KevinB likes this.
  19. birdsandbats

I haven't read the book but it sounds like it got something right.

CheeseChameleon1945 likes this.
  20. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The most important things that come to my mind from having read that (now somewhat dated) book and now living through Covid-19 is that Sars-Cov2/Covid-19 has quite a few characteristics of the worst-case scenarios or "The Next Big One" pandemic discussed in the book, that there are some disturbing parallels between past pandemics and the current, such as governments trying to cover things up, and that collectively and at the political and economic level we really haven't learned anything from past pandemics and warnings (such as Ebola, Sars and Mers), and that we really will have to make some changes this time to prevent another pandemic in the future.