Join our zoo community

Animal Bucket List

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by ThylacineAlive, 8 Nov 2012.

1. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

3. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Are they still up in Kansas?

4. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, some have reported up to 18 at Quivira NWR. I am more interested in a snow bunting that has been found out there though!

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I haven't listed anything

6. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

My top 5 would be:

-Long-nosed Echidna
    -Pangolin
    -Sumatran Rhino
    -Mountain Tapir
    -Saiga

They are in order of "see-ability". Other must-sees: Hooker's Sea Lion, Fiordland Crested Penguin, Mole, Giant Armadillo, Pronghorn, Whooping & Hooded Cranes (to complete the family), Hoatzin, Double-wattled Cassowary, Marine Iguana, Leatherback Turtle, every other species on the planet...

7. zooboy28

And would you allow White Tigers?

:D

8. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On one of the other threads, when we all said how much we wanted to see a Platypus, you said you've seen a Platypus but you wanted to see a skunk. But I guess you haven't posted anything on here yet so what's your list?

zooboy28- You living in New Zealand would mean you'd just jave to take a small trip up to Australia to see the Fiordland Crested Penguins (also on my list) and the Double-Wattled Cassowary (I've seen these, I want to see the other species). Also, a trip to the South Island would give you the opportunity to see the Hooker's Sea Lion (Like to see them but the Galapagos Sea Lion and Patagonian Sea Lion come first) along with other New Zealand wildlife including wild Fiordland Penguins. I don't know your financial situation, the local laws, or how old you are so that might be easier said then done.

9. zooboy28

Yeah, if I went to Taronga Zoo (Sydney, Australia) again there is a pretty good chance of ticking off the penguin and the echidna, I should be able to get those two next year. Hopefully I will also make it to the South Island in the near future, and see the sea lion (and perhaps yellow-eyed penguin too). I tried to pick species that I should see fairly soon, its important to be practical here :)D). I've actually seen the double-wattled many times, I meant single-wattled, bit of a mind-blank there.

10. Chlidonias

the penguin is getting old I think, and the echidna is on-show/off-show/on-show....so your chances may not be as good as you think! Keep your fingers crossed.

Its a pity you couldn't get to Walsrode when you were in Europe: they have both single-wattled and dwarf cassowary (and the only other single-wattled in Europe apparently is in Russia!). Maybe a quick trip over to Bali is in order!!

11. ThylacineAlive

There's only one Fiordland Penguin in captivity!!:eek:

Well, I guess I'll never see the species in captivity but I do plan to go to New Zealand one day so mabye I'll just sneak down to South Island and see the New Zealand Sea Lions, Fiordland Penguins, and Yellow-Eyed Penguins in one sweap if I'll lucky, enough. If I had the money, would it be possible to see both Australia and New Zealand in one swoop (zoo wise)?

I'd like to see all cassowary species and both a Short-Beaked Echidna and a long-beaked echidna.

12. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The main cost would be getting down here. It'd definitely be cheaper to see everything in one go because return airfares from the states will set you back a couple of thousand dollars but it'll only be a few hundred to fly between Australia and New Zealand.

13. zooboy28

I know, I know, I will be maximumly organised and ensure the echidna is on display before I go. Maybe I should go tomorrow, its on show now...

And please don't remind me about Walsrode and all the many, many, many birds I missed there. I still have the nightmares. It didn't open for another week after I left Germany, and it just wasn't possible for us to stay there any longer. Definitely the place I regret missing the most.

Bali is pretty likely in the not hugely distant future actually, I've been making plans for my MASEAZT :cool:

14. Chlidonias

assumedly with Singapore's River Safari as the lynch-pin? Direct flights between Auckland and Bali have recently been re-instated, just so you know :cool:

15. ThylacineAlive

Singapore is on my bucket list of places to go to see animals. So is Australia and New Zealand but I find it amazing the number of cool animal related attractions and zoos/aquariums they have down there. Top notch facilities some of them and if I have a chance of seeing the Mekong Giant Catfish...:D

16. zooboy28

Yup, although it might end up being a two-part trip, with Bali being a shorter visit, and Singapore/Malaysia/Vietnam taking a bit longer. Its all rather vague and unplanned at the moment though, I only bought the lonely planet book three weeks ago. There is a good chance we will be based in Australia when the time comes, which hopefully means quicker and cheaper flights to SE Asia (and not people putting drugs in my boogie-board bag).

The Bali flights start from $550 one way from Auckland, but only $380 from Melbourne, so I think I'll go from there.

17. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My choices are

Mammals
    red duiker
    numbat
    streaked tenrec
    flat-headed cat
    quoll

Birds
    kagu
    bearded vulture
    shoebill
    St vincent parrot
    Siberian crane

Reptiles
    gharial
    ploughshare tortoise
    thorny devil
    yellow-bellied sea snake
    marine iguana

amphibians
    hellbender
    giant salamander
    hairy frog
    Texas blind salamander
    tailed frog

no idea which fishes I would like to see

18. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am not really sure on that one. They aren't truly Black and White-the stripes are more greyish but they might be admitted.;)

Its just a surreal idea really, a bit 'Alice in Wonderland' or 'The Prisoner'- but it has always appealed rather.:)

19. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'll allow it!

20. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I forgot to mention, I would definately have some Primates- in the form of Black and White Colobus and b/w Ruffed Lemurs. Splendid display!:)

Animals in the Children's zoo(petting Zoo) area would all be strictly 'black and white' of course-cows, goats, rabbits, guinea pigs, rats and mice, black and white chicken and duck breeds. need I go on...