Join our zoo community

Animal Cruelty in Korea

Discussion in 'South Korea' started by harbin4, 2 Oct 2013.

1. harbin4

harbin4 New Member

I've just seen a distressing video on Youtube of a walrus apparently being mistreated by a keeper in a Korean Zoo. The film appears to have been taken by a Korean zoo visitor on a mobile phone. The visitor appeals for help. Does anyone know of any regulatory body or welfare organization in Korea that would be able to investigate? I won't include the link to the video, but you can find it on Youtube; it's called 'one zoo animal cruelty occurred in South Korea.'

2. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

The video was originally made - but not posted - by KARA, a Korean animal rights advocacy group and there is information about it on their website http://www.ekara.org/
    so presumably they are on the case.

There is a rotating headline image on the homepage showing the walrus and you can click through. For some reason that page won't load on my computer though so I couldn't get any more information.

Last edited: 2 Oct 2013
  3. harbin4

harbin4 New Member

Thanks... I found the KARA site. It says on their Facebook page that they've complained and received an apology from the zoo concerned, so hopefully the situation will be resolved.