Join our zoo community

Knowsley Safari Park animal culling out-rage

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Chlidonias, 10 Jan 2011.

1. amy

amy Active Member

I don't think anyone's a pain in the neck for sticking up for what they believe in, in fact I quite like a good debate. I was unaware about the RR hogs and it definitely will be interesting to see what their future holds. I hope they are kept alive but then that will cause eveyone to question even further, why cull the first litter? The eyes of the world (or at least zoo chat!) will be on them.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Last edited: 17 Jan 2011
  3. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

I knew Penny Boyd very well some years ago when she ran her own animal collection (sanctuary for ex-zoo/private , exotic animals) and I am in no way suprised by her allegations against Knowsley. Despite working for the collection and her connections with wild animals over the years she is definately NOT " pro-zoo" as a person. She also can be more than a little devious in her approach to life. Whilst I am not really wishing to get involved in the debate over the situation , I think people should be aware that this has been an unfortunate situation that Knowsley has unknowingly handed on a plate to Miss Boyd who has fully capitalised on it due to her personal situation, she would not have been able to resist the temptation. It should be put down to bitter experience , what is done is done. I would have thought that legally Knowsley possibly may even have a case against her ? (and the Sun paper?).

4. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I would have liked to have been able to post earlier, but could not get access for one reason or another.

I can say as a regular visitor for over 3 years, I have never once thought that something like what has been raised would happen at Knowsley. One important point to raise regarding the number of deer species being lowered is that the park staff have built 'runs' with sheeting so that animals can be herded up effectively and with minimum stress. building these runs is expensive & time consuming, so why would they cull when they have done this?. The deer species on the whole at knowsley appear to breed fairly successfully and over the years I have asked keepers questions and they have always said "we moved these to x park or zoo" etc,,. With regards to killing animals, occsionally it is bound to happen that animals need to be killed as humanely as possible due to males fighting or injury etc. Maybe the Pere Davids pictured (it was a male) was critically injured in a fight?

I have nothing negative to say about Penny as I did not know her and only saw her on two or three occasions photographing the animals - new borns etc,,. However I can say that I personally bet no other paper would have offered the amount the Sun did for the story - what do you reckon?

I was also there when an animal took ill (a guanaco), and I witnessed several keepers trying their best to comfort the animal and carefully get it into flat bed van to take it for treatment, unfortunately I later found out the animal died and was probably a couple of years past its expected life expectancy, again this experience demonstrates to me the keepers excellent attitude towards their work.

And then there are the cases I know about those keepers who literally take their work home to care for animals that may have been rejected by their mothers etc,,

All in all in my opinion as a regular visitor who has spoken at length to some keepers I see it as a place providing excellent care to animals and animal conservation on a whole.

5. fairgo

fairgo New Member

I worked with Penny Boyd some years ago at her animal sanctury in burstow.
    While Penny was a devoted animal lover I saw things that shouldnt have gone on in a place that is supposed to care for the sick and injured wildlife as well as the exotic species.
    I did not like what i saw and made sure it came to light in the ordinary checks done by the animal welfare people which by the way she was always tipped off about.
    I would never have gone to the newspapers but I left and was pleased to see later on that the santuary was closed.
    I wouldnt be at all surprised if this was a bit of getting her own back for the boyfriend losing his job sour grapes indeed

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The 'races' or runs for herding animals like Deer or Antelope with minimum fuss are usually to allow coralling in small areas for treatment or more efficient catchup procedures. Of course, they can also facilitate euthanasia too if its necessary.

Keepers nearly always have an excellent attitude to their work. But decisions regarding the culling of surplus animals, or to reduce herd size is usually not taken at keeper level, so they are unlikely to be involved very much except possibly to help determine which individuals should go.

7. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

I have PM`d you.

8. Kiah

Kiah New Member