Join our zoo community

Animal Database App

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Drew, 27 Nov 2014.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a favorite app they use as a reference for plants, animals, habitats, ect.? I recently bought a tablet with an Android OS and am having difficulty finding an app that isn't geared towards children. My goal is to use it as a reference/inspiration while I don't have web access or am traveling. Thanks!

2. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

How about any comprehensive e-books?

3. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

There are one or two apps and e-books that are bird guids to various contries or regions but there are none that I know of that are completely comprehensive. The only electronic bird guide that I have used is EGuide to Birds of East Africa and not as my only guide but the advantage of it is that it has sound recordings which can give a very easy idea of the actual sound rather than the writtten interpretation that can be found in books and can be hard to understand though overall the app covers all species that one is likely to see in the region and the text, illustrations and maps are very good for the species that it covers and it has a function to tick species that you have seen.
    Another app that I use is Tree Id which is an identification guide to British trees. It isn't for anyone that has advanced knowledge but is very good at tree identification for more of a beginner. The only downside is that, as I sad before it only covers British trees and only native ones or introduced ones that are very widespread naturally.
    I am not sure how useful either of those apps would be for your location but those are the only two that I use.
    :)

Last edited: 30 Nov 2014
  4. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Wrong category, I know, but for all of its failings as information the "Planet Earth" TV/video series is pure inspiration

5. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

I own the series and you are right on, it is inspirational!

With the lack of options I am contemplating creating my own. It will take a ton of copy/pasting from various resources and by no means will be completely comprehensive but at least I can customize it for my needs on a project by project basis. Having the adobe creative cloud suite will definitely help out on this one.

6. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member

The Smithsonian Natural History series by DK publishing has several eBook titles through iTunes and Kindle. I have the hardbound copies of both "Animal: the Definitive Visual Guide" and "Natural History" and they are excellent. The eBook titles look like they are derived from these books, just boiled down into smaller chunks.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Animal-Definitive-Visual-Worlds-Wildlife/dp/0756616344"]Animal: The Definitive Visual Guide to the World's Wildlife: David Burnie, Don E. Wilson: 9780756616342: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Natural-History-Smithsonian-DK-Publishing/dp/0756667526/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1417402286&sr=1-1&keywords=smithsonian+natural+history"]Amazon.com: Natural History (Smithsonian) (9780756667528): DK Publishing: Books[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Natural-History-Mammals-Carnivores-Smithsonian-ebook/dp/B00943039M]DK Natural History Mammals Carnivores: The Definitive Visual Guide (Smithsonian) - Kindle edition by DK Publishing. Professional & Technical Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.[/ame]

7. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

I had actually seen these titles in my search yesterday and if I could find the complete Animal:... in a .pdf or e-book format it would be perfect. The shortened ...Carnivores title is currently in my cart on amazon as it was the closest thing I could find to what I was looking for but I didn't find any of the other shortened sections available.