Join our zoo community

Animal-Keeper Bonds

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Demansia, 27 Feb 2007.

1. Demansia

Demansia New Member

Hey guys,

just out of curiosity...
    Do you all have closer bonds with a certain animal more so then others? If so, which species?

Cheers,

Brendan.

2. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hmmm. interesting. In my experience it depends on the individual animals. When working with eles I had a huge tusker under my care, he treid killing me and all other staff on the property any chance he could get, one young cow always struck at us and the public if we got within trunk range, if I was to go by that then I would have to say that working with elephants wasn't as fun as working with the Big Cats. But one cow I worked with was a lovely girl who made me love the experience. I was thinking about this today filling out an application form for a zoo. I prefer the large carnivores just because they are so amazing to look at but when it comes to working with animals the megafauna are more appealing especially elephants, as the relationship you build with them is much stronger than that with the carnis. Having said that I loved the Red Pandas at Taronga and the clouded leopard... they were awesome to work with.

3. Rookeyper

Rookeyper Well-Known Member

For me it would be Eastern grey kangaroos. We've been having terrible weather--ice and snow--so I haven't made it to the kangaroo barn in the mornings for a few weeks. When I went down this morning I was mobbed--literally--by about 15 of our animals. They just had to have a sniff, chew on my shoes and jeans, and just be close to me. I've worked with some of these animals for since they were born. Being around them always calms me down and makes me smile. We have one older female who is over 20 who always comes up for a scratch.

Elaine

4. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Brazilian Tapirs have brilliant keeper bonds

5. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

they do, i was with one at dubbo, most beautiful nature, except it was morning and as a tapir does, he had mis morning well... we all know, and its quite interesting HOW BIG it actually is lol

6. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

animal keeper bonds

One that particularly comes to mind was Cairo the camel . He thought he was human , so as a result there was a unique bonding between him and his keeper . He also seemed to recognise me , and let me gently stroke his nose .
    However , he was an exception to the average zoo animal

I would imagine the elephants at Auckland Zoo have a very special bond with their keepers , as the keepers are often in their enclosure , and the elephants go for walks around the zoo .

I think it is possible to develop strong bonds with cats , but there is a limit to actual human interaction when they grow to adolescent or adulthood

7. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

One of my friends handreared 2 baby persia leopards. She found it hard when they moved zoos. It must be hard to see an animal that you have handreared leave the zoo you work in.