Join our zoo community

Animal liberation and zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Monty, 6 Apr 2007.

1. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was just looking at an Animal libber/vegan site and they have bought up zoos. I have not given my opinion as I dont know as much about zoos as the rest of you. I visit that site as a farmer and correct their so called facts.

Zoos

It would be good if someone added a few correct facts.

2. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Hmmm... now there's the sort of challenge I love!! Back soon.......

3. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not the biggest fan of animal liberationists.. they seem to make too many uninformed decisions and allegations and aren't really up for listening to others points of view.

4. Monty

With that site they often start a discussion and then someone starts spouting rubish, uninformed views and allegations and most seem to believe everything that is written. They are just getting going now, by tomorrow I recon they will have realy worked themselfs up.

5. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Yes i have seen a few over the years and some are suffer tunnel vison as bad as it can get, one woman here in oz who is leading one group was on tv a couple of years ago saying animals are better off becoming extinct in the wild rather than zoos trying tp save them from extinction, its ok if they are being trapped, hunted, skinned and their homes wrecked, but not to give these species a safe home and well fed with a chance that one day they could be sent back to live in the wild again.

6. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

id like the person who wrote the comment about the wombat to visit the hunter valey where i live and see how many wombats are dead by roadsides, suffering mange and shot inhumanely or attacked by dogs. all of these impacts are human related and in my mind alot crueler than keeping a habituated, probablyhand reared animal in an exhibit where theres a plate of glass in its burrow so people can see it.
    get a grip vegan freaks

7. Coquinguy

i just re-read their posts, im not even going to honour their stupidity with a reply, lol

8. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

ohhh - i feel like making up a new alias, getting drunk and teasing vegans!!

9. Coquinguy

lol
    is it just me being horrible and allowing my vanhdetta against these annoying people to get the bes tof me or do they always look sick? rosemary stanton looks like she needs a big mac!
    im not a huge meat eater, but give these vegans a ****ing streak for christs sake

10. Monty

They are not getting as carried away as I expected. There was a topic on fishing a while ago and some of the people who tried to argue with them did not do much of a job, they just agrivated them and made them more militent. I dont have a go at their life decissions like being vegans as they are free to practice what they like. I just get anoyed when they make up facts? or try to interfere with other peoples lifestyles.

11. APEMAN

APEMAN Member

i have just been in contact with onre group about what was going on up north in Cairns.
    but have to say the reply only made me wonder how much do they realy know.
    it seemed to me that the person I spoke to had no idea about animal welfare when it came to what we were talking about (lion prides) and could only go on what she had read. (NO HANDS ON )
    and came across as someone who was only in it to stroke thier own ego

12. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

on vegans etc, all my mates think im such a hipporcrit, i am the biggest animal lover, yet i have been to the abbottoir and seen it done, and do agre,e and am the first 1 to through the bbq !!!!

is anyone here, vegan or vegetarian?

Last edited: 8 Apr 2007
  13. Coquinguy

part time vego

im a part time vego, ;) but im certainly not fanatic and also love steak. its more for enviro reasons that i dont eat meat 24/7, not so much a welfared decision although kfc is definitely not on the menu!

14. Monty

I am defenatly not a vegeterian. As a farmer I have been to abottoirs and seen my own animals killed and can not see what the fuss animal Libbers are on about. (Forigh abotoirs shown on 60 minuts are different to Australia.)
    As a deer farmer I also like to shoot and prepare my own meat.

15. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

I am definately not a zoo lover. As a conservationist I have been to pristine grassland habitats and seen how land used to be before it was destroyed by man and cattle and cannot see what the fuss the zoo lovers are on about.
    As a conservationist, I also like to grow my own organic fruit and vegetables.......

No, I'm not a vegan, nor a vegetarian, but I am trying to make a point here (although probably not very well). A couple of you have done exactly what you are criticising the animal lib web site of doing - making ill-informed and critical comments about groups, and probably without having a sound understanding of where they are coming from.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying for a second that I support them, but I am prepared to listen to them, debate with them, and hopefully, each group might cme away a little wiser about the other's philosophies. Sound like a better idea?

16. Zoo_Boy

but monty you wouldnt enjoy it do you, but its a fact of life, it has to be done, nd in that, the most humane way possible, i do think all life is sacred and so on ( i should just become a buddist)( hay zoopr, in our recent discussion on euthanasia) , but the activists go to far, back to our fav topic here, the rspca has done a backflip on the elephant isssue, as i said before, was talking to some mebers who are high in the ranks of rspca, and they are saying the rspca has seen it was a mistake, and the elephants are better off here.

i love all animals, and most of us here do, but we all here think maturally (maybe not the best word lol) and we see things have to be done, and we all reconise animals need the best care, but we are not fanatical. some people should just shut there mouths, until they have educationally driven ideas, i mean look, pink (for those oldies like zoopro - lol, shes a punk **** singer) she was tota;lly against mulsing, which us from the country see as vital for porducyion, and for animal welfare (every1 know what musling is?) anyway, she was educated on it, and after years of tryimng to fight, she finally tookthe time, read viewed etc what the consequences were of not doinng it, and she totally back flipped!

education is the key to all lifes problems ;)

17. Zoo_Boy

you are very interesting zoopro, on that comment, of curse here we would rather see all animals in pristine grasslands etc, and see rather than zoo tourism, eco-tourism, but its not that simple.

i also think there is some sound footing to many of the peoples comments, and its a topic that has a lot of media attention, so people do understand, and have the right to argue them.

18. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

You cheeky young whipper snapper you! If I could run us fast as you young things, I'd catch you and give you a damn good mulesing! Now get back to your homework young man, I've got to get back to the retirement village.

Boy, some people.....;)

19. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Yep, I thought I was being too subtle for some! I was attempting to mirror Monty's words, but from an animal libber's point of view. I'm glad you did pick up that my argument was pretty crap, and not based on thorough knowledge though - exactly the point I was trying to make. ;)

20. Zoo_Boy

yea. lol.

i do agree with you that the land is over used, and ill- managed, but as a large part of my HSC agriculture course, is conservation, and we go very in depth about animal liberationism, though yes from a ag production point of view, but we do get the basics, and it is tought seriously as a point that in-hibits production etc, .

we also do in depth studies on environmental impacts, and are tought that sustable farming practices, are becomeing vcery popular ( such tools as wildliecorridors etc) and we learn how to manage the land in a sustanable way, and a way that does hurt the surronding environment, such as water ways, and alternatives to tarditional chemicals used in production, for more alternate methods such as ley farming, and crop rotation, which all limit the need for chems such as fertilizers and fungicides.