Join our zoo community

Animal Quiz

Discussion in 'Quizzes, Competitions & Games' started by ZYBen, 24 Mar 2006.

1. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

The biggest Elephant ever (wild or captive) was a lot more than what you guys are looking at, think big, Zuki you are going to have a surprize when you find out what it is, you have seen the Africans at Dubbo, just think BIG.

2. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Something tells me that it is in the double figures -- I will start the ball rolling again at 12 tonnes

3. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Yes thats close enough Nigel, well done, it was 12.24 tonnes, thats is a big animal in anyones eyes. The shoulder height was a bit over 13 feet, again well done, so its over to you mate.

4. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Well that certainly is one big elephant !

Anyway . Tuatara ; I am not sure if any of you have seen this living dinosaur -- I have been lucky enough to stroke one .
    It looks a bit like a stocky water dragon , but is not related to any lizard . Its closest relatives have all been long extinct .
    Although it is NOT aggressive by nature , it can bite , and bite hard apparently

Question ;

How many teeth does a tuatara have ?

5. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

I have seen some in New Zealand Nigel, but i never saw them open their mouth wide enough to see the teeth, hehe.

6. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

yeah, i agree this ones a toughie. since tuataras are not lizards and from memory their name in latin makes some reference to beaks or something. i dunno i have this weird feeling they have just two big ones at the front of each jaw, or a beak or something odd - but no doubt more little ones at the back as they are not vergatarian (?). that could be anything up to about a hundred!!!

my guess thouugh? um.... 36

7. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Do we count the egg tooth as well, hehe

8. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

cryptic clue

OK , I asked this question knowing that you probably have never been able to see one . However , I was hoping that you would learn about this unique creature by trying to find the answer in an encyclopeadia or website ......
    I will allow you to do this .
    Also , this is an oddball one so "think outside the square ....."
    Patricks reply is starting to get the drift , but I cant accept his guess at 36 as being close enough to the correct answer ....

Mark , you wouldnt want to be bitten by them because they dont let go in a hurry , either .

9. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Yeah, Nigel I know what you mean I keep a few a Herps here myself.

10. patrick

okay - don't know the exact number number of teeth but i was right about the teeth at the front, i saw i pic of a tuatara skull and they have big buck-toothed "fangs" at the front. but in addition to this, i read they have a double row of teeth in the top jaw and a single row on the bottom that fits nice and snug between the top rows when the jaw is closed. since they don't replace them, old tuatara have been known to have no teeth at all, instead just chewing on totthless jawbone - so i guess i was sort of right about the "beak"!

11. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

That is correct

I couldnt have explained it better myself .
    Basically it has no teeth like we know of teeth , but it is the structure of the jaws.
    Well done , Patrick .

12. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Are you guys interested in re starting the Quiz again?? it was a bit of fun.

13. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Can i ask a question? I read through this and found it funny that the platypus was the most expensive animal at Taronga Zoo. Which made me think of the animal species that's most expensive at Blijdorp Zoo Rotterdam.

Q: What's the most expensive animal species at Blijdorp Zoo, Rotterdam.

Hint: They have two sisters called Micas and Maré (now it'll be easy to google...). Winner get's to ask another question.

14. patrick

i'm assuming jwer that you mean, like my platypus question, that they are the most expensive animal to keep and not expensive in terms of worth?

okay i'm not gonna cheat and google. the names are spanish sounding , so i'm going to take an educated assumption that its likely a south american animal.

hmmmm expensive to keep.....never heard of blijdorp zoo (unless it is THE rotterdam zoo) so i could be small. they might not be expensive compared to other zoos. could be a specialty feed issue - dunno are they... um.....sloths?

15. jwer

Yes the most expensive to keep, and i ment THE rotterdam Zoo. The big relatively well known one over the world ;)

They have spanish (portuguese...) names because they are both born in Lissabon, but that has nothing to do with their original habitat.

16. patrick

well now you have gone and given it away ;)

but i have already had my guess!

17. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Most expensive animal to keep at Blijdorp/Rotterdam Zoo must be something with a high metabolism and eats a great deal. I'm still thinking....

Here's another question- apart from Leopard Seal(I think) can you name any other MAMMALS where the female of the species is larger than the male?

18. jwer

Officially you only get to ask a question if you answer the previous one correct :p But since i smuggled with mine... pot-kettle-black ;)

I would say any with a female-dominated society, perhaps lemurines (ringtails), spotted hyena's and some species of squirrel-monkeys?

Last edited: 7 Feb 2007
  19. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Please tell me what Blijdorp's most expensive to keep residents are... I can't think of anything without cheating and looking it up...

20. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

the hyeana is another eg of a female bigger than male