Join our zoo community

Animal rides in zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Carl Jones, 11 Jun 2017.

1. Carl Jones

Carl Jones Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In the 1960s many major zoos offered animal rides to their visitors. These were powerful experiences that many can still remember. How common was it to have elephant or camel rides in zoos and when were these phased out?

What other animals were used to offer rides for the public?

2. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Elephant and camel rides were very common in zoos; London Zoo stopped elephant rides in 1960 although camel rides continued for many years afterwards.

Llama carts were also very common. I have two old postcards from the Jardin d'Acclimatation (Paris) one depicting people riding in a cart pulled by an ostrich; another depicting visitors riding in a cart pulled by a zebra.

3. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Camel rides are still offered though, for example in Zoo Leipzig.

4. animalszoos

animalszoos Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Some Asian zoos in particular have elephant rides. Lok Kawi Wildlife Park for example offers rides on Borneo Pygmy elephants
    Selwo Aventura in Spain still has Dromedary camel rides as well.

5. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In the 1960s, London Zoo had camel rides, pony traps and llama traps; there were pony and donkey rides in the Children's Zoo. Animal rides stopped at London Zoo after the foot-and-mouth disease outbreak in 2001.

6. animalszoos

animalszoos Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Gaza zoo had 'zebra' rides.

7. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Kronberg zoo in Germany and zoo on Fuerteventura do camel rides, and probably some others.

Elephant rides are of course not uncommon in Asia where elephants are working animals.

Berlin zoo a century ago apparently had some exotic animals rides, including a chart pulled by zebra.

8. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I can only speak of my experience in the United States.

Asian elephant rides were known until fairly recently, though I am not sure how common they were. I know that I myself rode an Asian elephant at San Diego Safari Park probably the first year it opened (1972) and they still had the rides when I visited in the mid to late 1980's. Santa Ana Zoo used to have a private elephant ranch (Have Trunk Will Travel) bring them in on weekends for rides until very recently (stopped just a few years ago). The zoo itself did not have an elephant exhibit. I read recently that some unaccredited zoo in the eastern USA was still doing African (not Asian) elephant rides, though rights groups were pressuring them to stop.

Dromedary camel rides are done currently in the USA at accredited zoos. Here are a few I know for sure that do it, but I imagine there are many more: Reid Park Zoo (Arizona), Phoenix Zoo (Arizona), The Living Desert (California), Philadelphia Zoo (Pennsylvania), Zoo Knoxville (Tennessee), Southwicks Zoo (Massachusetts), Louisville Zoo (Kentucky)...

9. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Elephant rides disappeared in Australia in the early 1960's. At my local Melbourne Zoo they stopped in 1962, too early for me to have a personal memory of them. A few years back the new Director of one of our major zoos suggested in a flurry of enthusiasm for his new job that he would reintroduce elephant rides. Somebody must have had a quiet word because that was the last heard of it. This Director does not have an animal or zoo background.

Melbourne Zoo had pony rides I think until the early 1980's, attached to a small amusement park that operated within the zoo. The park was operated by a lessee, and the ponies disappeared with the rest of the park when the zoo decided not to renew the lease.

Dromedary camel rides are not uncommon in Australia, hardly surprising given how common feral camels are. However I am aware of only one Australian zoo that has them. It is a large privately owned Australian wildlife park which has a "farmyard" attached, and the camel rides are part of the farmyard. However again I understand the farmyard is operated by a third party.

There are a number of petting farms that also operate pony rides etc. While there is debate as to whether these qualify as zoos, many have small collections of Australian and/or exotic wildlife.

10. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Could it be Natural Bridge in Virginia which has African elephant rides seasonally? African Elephant Rides

11. Arizona Docent

Yes, that is the one I was thinking of.

12. Arizona Docent

I just remembered something. Around three years ago or so (I could be off), San Diego Safari Park announced they were starting mule rides that go into the wild backcountry areas owned by the park. However shortly after that all mention of them disappeared and it seemed to have only lasted a couple months. I never heard a reason why, but it could be (pure speculation) they just did not get enough takers. I mean who would want to go the Safari Park and then do a tour of the area where there are no animals?

13. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

the only time I went to Monato Zoo in South Australia, we all had camel rides - do they still offer them? that was about 12 years ago

14. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo had African elephant rides at least until the 1990s. The elephant that gave them still lives there.

15. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Columbus Zoo and Maryland Zoo have camel rides in the summer. It always breaks my heart when I see elephant rides at Renaissance festivals.

16. Azamat Shackleford

Azamat Shackleford Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Out of curiosity, does Singapore still offer elephant rides?

17. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I haven't seen animals rides in a very long time. My mom has pictures of my brother on an elephant ride in the Louisville Zoo dated 1987 and I did ride a camel in the Minnesota Zoo in 1990. I haven't seen animal rides in zoos since then.

18. Azamat Shackleford

Azamat Shackleford Well-Known Member 5+ year member

African Safari Wildlife Park I've seen has camel rides though there's size restrictions (I wanted to ride on a camel but I'm too heavy :( )

But yeah it's IMO, only bad if the animals are being overworked and they're showing obvious signs of stress. If it's regulated and the animals are being treated and cared for properly then I don't see any reason why not.

19. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Milwaukee County Zoo used to have Dromedary rides, but now does Horse rides. Minnesota Zoo had Dromedary rides for Kangaroo Crossing. Special Memories Zoo has trained their Grant's Zebra for riding, although I don't know if there are any plans to have visitors ride the zebra.

20. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Australia Zoo keeps camels and offer camel rides, as well as horse and Shetland pony rides.