Join our zoo community

Les Terres de Nataé Animal rights group buying Zoo de Pont-Scorff

Discussion in 'France' started by TNT, 23 Dec 2019.

1. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

That does sound a bit like Howletts...?
    Maybe a bit of a dilemma for EAZA ? - both are members...

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The template for what they propose to do at this French Zoo does sound very much along the lines of DA's stated plans for Howletts- 'relocation and rescue' but no idea what that really means- at either place...

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

To be honest if someone told me that Simoncini was an elaborately-constructed fake identity for Damien I would be a little tempted to believe them!

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  4. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Yes , I agree with those first two points you make and I share your concern both about how dominant this idiotic myopic narrative of "Animal rights activists" is on social media and society in general and how intoxicating and persuasive it is to the masses.

As I've mentioned many times in this forum like you I also worry that these sorts of situations have the potential to become unmanageable and will in the near future begin to even more severely impede and disrupt important ex-situ conservation work from being carried out by zoos. At such a critical juncture of the anthropocene where we stand to lose biodiversity at alarming rates this is deeply worrying and frustrating for me as a conservationist.

But as I've said many of these groups and individuals simply don't conform to a single political ideology or particular pole of the political spectrum. Often individuals who are obsessed with "animal rights" (Actually it isn't even limited to animal rights and you can find many of these unpleasant personality types in conservation and even zoos too) for many reasons have a severe and frequently pathological and or neurological deficit when it comes to empathy or concern for human beings which leads many of them to be adherents (or at least to harbour sympathies) of far right and even crypto or outright fascist ideologies.

Last edited: 4 Jan 2020
  5. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

From internet news, it looks that the association plans looking for more donations, this time to run the zoo. Which for me looks like those guys in Asia who get wild animals from God-knows-where and show them on the street collecting gifts, only on the large scale and using internet.

They also now claim they want to use the zoo to rehabilitate native animals and hold animals seized by customs. IMO, only an idiot would give custody of any animals to a place without secure funding.

KevinB likes this.
  6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Well it seems that they have tripped themselves up at the starting line and are now showing just how incompetent they truly are. Not very suprising really and actually I find it quite satisfying how they are showcasing to the world the ineptitude of this rather idiotic Mickey mouse approach to "animal rights".

That said , I'm pretty cynicalal about whether it will really change the minds of all their suport base on social media who are largely not interested in thinking critically about such issues or examining their biases or dogmatic beliefs anyway.

Last edited: 4 Jan 2020
  7. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Every other rescue station is running on tight budget and is scraping for every little donation possible.

Elephantelephant likes this.
  8. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

So first they get the public to believe them that they are to free the animals back to the wild and put an end to the zoo game, get the money buy the zoo now they own the zoo, ask the same people a week later to give more money to actually run the zoo rather than close it down. Amazing ! If they pull this of and the public actually give them money to run the zoo, could any of you let me know if there are any more zoos up for sale and I will give it a go, we could all own a zoo in a few weeks publicly funded of course.

9. Jurek7

That is why wild animals confiscated by customs usually go to zoos and long-term specialized rescues.

10. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

And those are immune to financial problems?

11. Jurek7

Actually, zoos should watch and analyze their campaign. If they could get 800,000 EUR from the naive public for a crazy project, there is a potential for zoos to finance real conservation this way. I can only guess, but they probably targeted people with interest in animals, but little knowledge about wildlife: dog owners etc.

800,000EUR might finance Waldrapp ibis reintroduction program for a year, or be a big part of the cost of releasing European bison in a new place in the Carpathians, or finance protecting a reserve in Africa from poachers for several years...

12. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A rhino at the zoo has died. From what I've seen, the new "owners" blame the death on a lifetime in captivity... But others are saying that it's due to a sudden diet change implemented under the new ownership.

13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A load of balloney what the new owners claim, it is dereliction of duty and (potentially) culpability in an avoidable death of a wild animal due to husbandry\animal mismagement by the current operators.

Onychorhynchus coronatus and TNT like this.
  14. Blijdorpenaar

Blijdorpenaar Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Has anyone been able to get some sort of update on whats going on over there? I must admit I still find it quite a worrying development, especially since they apparently managed to secure considerable funding from the public... They seemed to have shut down any and all means of communication, which makes me worry their poorly thought through changes are taking more lifes. That they haven't been kicked out of EAZA and/or had their EEP/ESB animals recovered still baffles me...

15. Stefan Verhoeven

Stefan Verhoeven Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Last results after the take over by the animal welfare organisation:
    - not one qualified person employed to take care of non domesticated animals available since the 4 months the zoo was taken over. So officially no one is allowed to take care of the non domesticated animals
    - 2428kg of dead animals
    - no veterinaire records
    - no post mortems
    - expired medications
    - animals escaped
    - flooding with sewer water
    - refusal to have a licenced person to use firearms in case of an emergency after a dangerous animal escapes. This is mandatory by law.

16. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Bloody hell this is no good, these people are blinded by their ideology truly, I hope action is taken and the zoo is seized from them.

17. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If local zoo legislation is being ignored will the relevant authorities step in?

Jungle Man and TNT like this.
  18. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Ughhh ... holy s*** ... :mad: so much for "animal rights" eh ?

I think this offers really a very pertinent and alarming lesson on what actually happens when these self proclaimed "animal welfare warriors" get their hands on a zoo.

kermodei likes this.
  19. Stefan Verhoeven

Stefan Verhoeven Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They have till the 30th of September to overcome the issues, otherwise the authorities can take further action

Ned likes this.
  20. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They are going to need a bloody hell of good luck on their side!!!!