Join our zoo community

Les Terres de Nataé Animal rights group buying Zoo de Pont-Scorff

Discussion in 'France' started by TNT, 23 Dec 2019.

1. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. Pepe

Pepe Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It is not that bad that they are all suffering and almost dying, it is especially the enclosures that are bad. So they will recover.
    The best solution is indeed that all animals will be transferred out. If not, either Sea Shepherd or another party will take over the zoo, and will say for the next 10 years "we know that some animals are living in bad conditions but we work very hard to improve the situation", with the animals suffering but many people say that they have so much respect for the people that took over aand "do what they can". But as there are huge debts that need to be repayed and also costs during the period that the animals would be transferred out, I am afraid that the authorities will feel to be forced to give a new owner a chance to bring back the zoo to a higher level.

3. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

From the last newspapers articles published it looks like that some zoos appear to be interested in recovering Pont-Scorff. We don't know more for the moment except that Beauval is not one of them.

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. PossumRoach

So... how is the government crackdown of this virtuous facility going?

6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

That isn't too bad a move IMO.

But I doubt the rest of their efforts at rewilding will go so smoothly (if it does indeed go smoothly as they haven't sent them yet) and transporting those tortoises to the Seychelles will take a chunk out of their finances.

Last edited: 16 Mar 2021
    kermodei and StoppableSan like this.
  7. PossumRoach

Sounds good indeed but if these animals are captive bred shouldn't there be an effort to see if these animals aren't hybridized? Also these animals were on a loan so they don't exactly belong to REWILD. Is it really right to ship claimed animals to the wild?

8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I don't think the recipients in the Seychelles would take in hybridised tortoises but fair point about these being loaned (wasn't aware of that).

9. Antoine

This transfer will not go on as the zoo is in receivership and there is a problem with the property of the tortoises. An italian zoo claims to be the owner but Pont-Scorff told they have regular property papers. The italian zoo went to justice court for this. I suppose we will not have news before Pont-Scorff would be sale...

10. Onychorhynchus coronatus

So they screwed that up too.

What a surprise.

kermodei and StoppableSan like this.
  11. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Well, the tortoises in any case cannot be released on their native Aldabra atoll - pathogens.

All this buying a zoo to release 2 tortoises? It would be comical if it was not so sad.

StoppableSan, TNT and Antoine like this.
  12. Antoine

The zoo has been placed in liquidation and candidates for a takeover have until the end of April to present their project. For the moment we know that Sea Shepherd France, a zoo company and a pension fund are interested in.

13. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Lets hope that Sea Shepherd **** off then

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. PossumRoach

a zoo company?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. Antoine

Yes, a zoo company but I don't know more.

16. Antoine

According to a press article there are 4 candidates :
    - Sea Shepherd with the support of the founder's children (Sea Shepherd signed a provisional sale agreement with them for the land). The zoo will become a care facility and money will come from Sea Shepherd funds and donations.
    - Ten employees of the zoo coming together in a new company and with the support of private investors. They want to keep the project of Rewild but will open a small part to the public (for educational workshops and a vegan restaurant).
    - dutch investors who own already 3/4 zoos (I suppose it's Libema),
    - a Breton investor who indicated that he wants to create a modern zoo and puts 10 millions euros in it. He has the support of Alain le Heritte, a past director of the zoo.

17. PossumRoach

Either this or shut it down.

Kifaru Bwana, Antoine and Fallax like this.
  18. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Option 4/5 or bust and the animals being redistributed within the EAZA or accredited zoo network. It is time the SS+Rewild bimbo troupe bow out and are held publicly accountable for their failure to manage a zoological facility and dereliction of duty of care as to me both organisations have been criminally negligent.

TNT, KevinB and PossumRoach like this.
  19. PossumRoach

And France makes rules so that only experienced people or zookeepers are allowed to own and manage zoos. I usually oppose regulations that prevent "the little guy" from operating zoos because no one is born a zookeeper/expert, no zoo gets their accredited before its opened, but if special interest orgs who lack the expertise are allowed to get their hands on a zoo as big as this, then there is a problem.

TNT likes this.
  20. Antoine

@Kifaru Bwana I am quite sure permanent closing will not arrive for economical and political reasons.
    I agree it would be the best way but impossible.

@PossumRoach It's already the case as you must have a special certificate to manage a zoo and I can confirm this certificate is not easy to get especially for great apes, pachyderms, big cats...Moreover, you need an administrative authorization to open a zoo to public and it's a long long way.

Unfortunately, when you have money you can employ someone with a certificate and ask politics to help you for the administrative authorization...

Kifaru Bwana likes this.