Join our zoo community

Borth Animalarium Animalarum for sale

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by dean, 25 Jan 2016.

1. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've just looked on Rightmove, and it is showing as sold STC....

2. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Reported on BBC TV local news this morning that the Animalarium has been finally sold . The new owners are a couple that do not appear to have a zoo background .

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

article here: Family moves in with lions and snakes at Borth Animalarium - BBC News

4. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Interesting. I hope it can work out for them.

5. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. Waddi

Waddi Well-Known Member

Now let's see if the LA allow a licence transfer.

7. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Borth Zoo has now changed name from 'Borth Animalarium' to 'Borth Wild Animal Kingdom'. Plans are to do up the shop and café, then make the hill more accessible to add more animal enclosures.

8. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm a bit concerned that the first step is doing up the shop and the cafe when animal enclosures need work. Why would they choose to do this first? Not making assumptions, but seems an odd choice.

9. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Happy customers = repeat visits

Business 101, and makes the most sense, make the guest happy so you have more money to spend on improvements to enclosures.

Zia and MagpieGoose like this.
  10. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

I've never been there, but i quite liked the name Animalarium.

11. MagpieGoose

The zoo have unveiled there new logo on Facebook:

[​IMG]

12. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As a 'Wild Animal Kingdom', I hope they have reduced the number of domestics that they had -- I remember horses, pigs, goats, none of which really fit the Wild Animal Kingdom image. Not been for several years though.

MagpieGoose likes this.
  13. MagpieGoose

Visited Borth Wild Animal Kingdom today, not expecting much from the new ownership as they had only been there a couple of weeks but speaking to staff the future seems bright with animals getting larger enclosures. Here are couple other of my notes:
    -The Plated Lizards (Although labelled as G.skoogi, there has been doubt to whether it actually was), Horned Frogs and Fence Lizard are no longer on-show in the reptile house, although Carpet Python now are. The reptile house currently consists of Burmese Python, Carpet Python, Corn Snake, Californian King Snake, Bearded Dragon, Royal Python and Reticulated Python
    -There is a single Bennett's Wallaby mixed with the Rheas
    -They are down to a single Weeper Capuchin, Demoiselle Crane and Sandhill Crane, and although signed I didn't spot any Madagascan Teal
    -The Von der Derken Hornbill aviary and surrounding aviaries are empty. The Hornbills are still there and can be seen behind the Grey-Breasted Conures
    -The Rainbow Lorikeet aviary has been transformed into an extension for the breeding family of Common Marmoset with a bridge connecting the two.
    -The aviary by the Green Iguana house which used to be labeled as having Zebra Finch, Chinese Painted Quail, Rosa Bourke, Bengalese Finch, Japanese Quail and Java Sparrow is now empty.
    -The aviary in the domestics area (Bizarre Mixed Exhibit of Turkey,Budgerigar,Cokatiel & Domestic Europena | ZooChat) is now home to Diamond Dove, Grey Partridge, Zebra Finch and Java Sparrow
    -The old Ocelot exhibit has become part of the Lynx enclosure and the mother and her 3 cubs have access to it. The original enclosure has been split up with other female (Nilly) being kept separate
    -The Asian Palm Civets have moved into what was the Bronze Turkey exhibit in the expansion. This is definitely an improvement for the Asian Palm Civet as it gives them about 5 times the amount of space they had in the previous exhibit.

14. MagpieGoose

The zoo have announced one of the female Lynx has escaped (If I remember rightly they have 2:3)

Do not be alarmed, but please be alert as one of our young Eurasian Lynx has escaped. People of Borth and the surrounding countryside please be on the lookout for a large cat with a stubby tail. She is a young juvenile, tan and white in colour with dark spots on her back and legs. She is about twice the size of a domestic cat with black tufts on her ears. Her most distinctive feature is her thick, stubby tail which is no more than six inches long, is tan at the base and black at the tip.

If you spot her, please do not approach her. Phone the police or contact the zoo straight away. We have fully-trained keepers on hand to deal with the situation. The zoo phone number is 01970 871224. There have never been any recorded attacks of a Lynx on a human, but they are a wild animal with sharp teeth and claws and will attack if cornered or trapped.

Lynx are solitary animals that hide most of the day and tend to hunt at night. They will generally keep clear of human habitation and prefer a wooded environment. She is not used to hunting live prey but will chase rabbits and rodents when she gets hungry. They have excellent eyesight that can spot a mouse 250 yards away and big flat paws that help them move very quietly.
    Lynx can travel about 12 miles a day, but the chances are she hasn’t gone far. We will be putting out camera traps around the perimeter of the zoo and relying on sightings by the public. Once we learn her location and follow her trail pattern we can set up monitored traps to catch her.

We thank you for your vigilance and remind you once again, please do not approach this wild animal. Please call Borth Wild Animal Kingdom and we will send our keepers right away.

RockingPhillip likes this.