Join our zoo community

Animals from Tipperary.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by tetrapod, 14 Nov 2009.

1. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Had my colleagues and I implemented Plan A - we would have been the ones being prosecuted!! Crazy world that we live in. With the benefit of hindsight, I now wish that we had implemented Plan A and damn the consequences.

Before advocating prosecution for anyone else, let's wait until the professionals get here with their side of the story. There are enough of them checking out this forum for us to get an informed viewpoint any day now.

2. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am sure their legal representatives and public relations people are busy writing up a well worded reply blaming everyone but their organisation. Looking forward to read what they have to say on the matter.

3. phoenix

phoenix Well-Known Member

i don't think we will hear anything.

the story barely made it to melbourne.

4. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Which is why in a way I would like for the RSPCA, Greens et al to get involved. This is, to me a legitimate case for their interest, not the made up scandles that Ms Lee has used in the past.

5. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

I believe Phoenix is correct I be surprised if anything is said about it

6. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ms Lee is to busy with supporting her drug dealing son. After trying to stop police using sniffer dogs to catch drug users she claimed that police would be better going after drug dealers. Now they have and it is her son.

7. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Very silent by the look of it :rolleyes:

8. m575

m575 Well-Known Member

so what's happnend to the other animals? anyone know somewhere for some good readin'? I read something about hunting ground purchasing a lot of them, including the oryx.. which I found odd.

9. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

10. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It should be noted that the man currently housing the animals from tipperary was, although a game hunting ranch, in the past not intending to hunt any of these endangered animals until he had a sustainable population. In fact he was more interested in swapping animals with ARAZPA than selling them. He wanted to diversify the genetics of his herd.

11. Steve Robinson

Jarkari - in the interests of accuracy it should be stated that Mary River is STILL a game hunting ranch. Despite that fact, as I mentioned in an earlier post, there is no reason to doubt that the breeding animals of the species that went there will not be nurtured for generations into the future. In his own way, Mr Gleeson will "manage" the species!

I think you will also find that it is not entirely correct to say that Mr Gleeson is interested in co-operating with ARAZPA.

12. Monty

From what I have read Mr Gleeson has spent a lot of his own money looking after these animals and should have the ability to get a return from excess older males. The best way to garentee the future of this species in Australia is to allow the hunting of those older males.

13. phoenix

phoenix Well-Known Member

no - the best way to to guarantee the future of this species in australia is for all animals to remain part of a high-intensive breeding program. allowing surplus animals to be culled is no different from castration - a practice we all condemn the zoos over - as we know its leaves the breeding program with little or no backup in the event of an unexpected death.

whilst personally, im pleased in knowing that being a hunting ranch, and looking for surplus - this place will be breeding as many antelope as possible (like zoos should be doing with bongo) - what concerns me is that valuable genetics will be lost in the hunting process.

14. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not that long ago i saw a documentary about a breeding/hunting station in South Africa. This man was breeding an incredible stock of antilopes, and let his surplus/elderly males get hunted to sustain himself and his operations. He was very emotional about his animals (specially when faced with the above criticism) and did everything he could to ensure a genetic and individually healthy population.

This turned my view about these farms around quite a bit. His animals looked better then most I've ever seen, every specimen was in tip top shape and he made absolutely sure they where.

If this station in australia looks anything like that one (and sofar it sounds good) then i'm not worried at all about genetic diversity, and loosing a few spare males for the breeding program. They'll always secure a few spare males just in case and they'll allow a country like Australia to support a decent number of animals to sustain a healthy population. I'm not so sceptical and/or critical about these kinds of farms anymore...

15. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sorry Steve, I mean Mr Gleeson WAS interested in exchanging animals with ARAZPA. Right at the beginning of this whole saga.

Some issues arose and I believe but am not sure, that he now has limited interest in working with ARAZPA

And when I said "was, although a game hunting ranch, in the past not intending to hunt any of these endangered animals"

I did not mean to suggest he was no longer a game hunting ranch rather that in the past he did not intend to hunt the healthy breeding animals. "Was" was meant to say I am unsure of his current position with regards to hunting these animals.

For the recored, I can't see an issue with him charging people to hunt elderly animals past breeding age.

16. Monty

I was just reading another topic and found the following quote by MRJ
    Isn't this what places such as the Mary River property want. Places such as this want large numbers freely breeding in as natural as possable situation.

17. Steve Robinson

ZooPro - now that you are back, would you please give us the official industry position on this whole sorry saga?

Not just on the outcome but on the whole process that resulted in her being abandoned in the first place.

Thanks.

18. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

If you want an "industry position", why don't you contact the institutions involved and ask for it. Surely that would be the way to obtain a more informative answer? I'm not working in the industry at the moment, so not in a position to comment.

I don't see the institutions involved, nor the regional association regularly posting updates on this forum, and to be honest, I doubt they will.

19. Steve Robinson

Sorry - I was not aware that you are no longer with us. Industry wise that is!

As you have been a very effective industry spokesman in the past and, as you were back on line on a forum where this matter has been debated, and viewed, by a heck of a lot of people it seemed logical to ask you.

In the past ARAZPA certainly has seen fit to make known it's position on some issues through this forum - as have some zoos.

Last edited: 25 Nov 2009
  20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The entire pygmy hippo saga with TWP continues to amaze me.
    Will the truth ever be revealed? :confused: