Join our zoo community

Animals from Tipperary

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jarkari, 24 Apr 2007.

1. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

what, i totally dont get what you just said zoo boy, lol. what i meant was that some of the addax at tipperary are probably related to animals in managed programs because of this previous exchange.
    obviously, dna testing would be the only way to sort out the tipperary herd of addax after all the unregulated breeding, but i think the fact that there is some level of representation, as opposd to no representation of the pygmy hippo and river hippos, means obtaining the addax is a lesser priority.
    of course, if the animals are to go as a package, id grab the addax too (if only to keep the carnivores in food;)

2. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

hippo's!, hippo's!, HIPPO'S!, HIPPO'S!

3. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Eland

The Eland that were at Tipperary were from dubbo so wuold not be surprised if any of the others were sourced from zoos within the country

4. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

australia's eland population are already quite inbred. to the bes tof my knowledge none were imported during the 1999 quarantine gap, so they must all be descended from earlier stock, perhaps going back to acclimitisation projects....?
    peter crocroft, a past director of taronga makes reference to the eland in a book ive got of his. in the 1970's australia lost it's last wildebeest, sitatunga were dying out and mr crowcroft was basically saying eland were all that would be left. this species isnt listed as viable in the hibbard/barlow report, so it would seem the animals at tipperary arent going to save the day in this case after all :(

5. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Monarto has 6 eland calves!