Join our zoo community

Animals left for dead in Indonesian zoos

Discussion in 'Indonesia' started by Clouded Leopard, 22 May 2012.

1. Clouded Leopard

Clouded Leopard Well-Known Member

2. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

And apparently there is to be a swap between Indonesia and China involving giant pandas and Komodo dragons.

3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That is a pretty depressing article. I cannot believe China would give them pandas. Although, it might ultimately turn out for good if they get the pandas and then kill them, it could create enough of a public outcry to finally make some changes.

4. Emanuel Theodorus

Emanuel Theodorus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, the pandas are not housed in any of those zoos, they are housed in a special exhibit called "Istana Panda" or "Panda's Castle" in Taman Safari Bogor. So far, the pair is going great.

5. Salt Merchant

Salt Merchant Well-Known Member

Most Indonesian zoos are just a form of "entertainment". I wouldn't be suprised if Cai Tao and Hu Chun (The name of the pandas) ever mate and have a baby, they probally used it as something for the visitors to take a photo with

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@AD, it has already happened. TSI Bogor has received a giant panda pair already.

BTW: not all facilities in Indonesian zoos are bad. And it is worth reminding its zoo infrastructure and animal husbandry is improving and certainly the awareness that standards need to be improved is very much there.

Jungle Man and Salt Merchant like this.
  7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If I am correct there might already have been some exchange deals involving TSI Bogor Komodo dragon to foreign zoos.

I believe in the recent and more distant past most collections holding Komodo dragons in North America and Europe trace their ancestry back to individuals born at Ragunan - Jakarta, Surabaya Zoo and Jogyakarta Zoo.

I suppose our Indonesian zoo experts might be able to provide more detailed info on these transfers. A pointe de critique is and / or might have been that foreign zoos were quite uninterested in the animal welfare aspect or reciprocity and exchange in animal husbandry, management and expertise vice versa.

Jungle Man and Salt Merchant like this.
  8. Salt Merchant

Salt Merchant Well-Known Member

Zoos that are actually improved are the Taman Safari parks and Bali Zoo, other zoos like Bandung Zoo improved just a little (They still have several awful primate exhibits). Although the two zoos should removed the animal rides and young animals photo booths. New zoo, like Lembang Park and Zoo, are getting better everyday (They recently introduced toco toucans to the zoo)